Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making homelink work In equipped model S/X/3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your tesla has a homelink module, and it shows up on your screen, and if you have tried programming it but the headlights don’t flash, it means your door or gate is not compatible.

To fix this you can purchase a reciever from Merlin Australia model E8003 for just under $150. You will also need a corresponding remote E950M to program the tesla. Merlin can be contacted sydney 1800638234. If you are in a different state they will provide a supplier contact. The adelaide guy was driving past my office so delivered it to me 10minutes later. He was happy to wire it in, but its just two data cables so I did it myself.

Merlin is owned by Chamberlain who are owned by Gentrix who make Homelink.

For anyone in Adelaide the supplier is Advanced Garage Doors 0414400954.

You don't by any chance know if i were to add the module (as my car didn't come with it in the bumper), would the icon show up then? Or does Tesla only send the icon out to the cars with VINs that originally came with the module?

To fix this you can purchase a reciever from Merlin Australia model E8003 for just under $150. You will also need a corresponding remote E950M to program the tesla. Merlin can be contacted sydney 1800638234. If you are in a different state they will provide a supplier contact. The adelaide guy was driving past my office so delivered it to me 10minutes later. He was happy to wire it in, but its just two data cables so I did it myself.

Merlin is owned by Chamberlain who are owned by Gentrix who make Homelink.

Thanks for the tip, I have a 3yo B&D that doesn't program, managed to get a Merlin receiver and remote for $125 on eBay.

Last edited:
If your lights flashed thats a very good start. Have you pressed the learn button on the back of your door motor?
I tried but no luck. The instructions on my receiver says I need to press the code learn button and while that is pressed I need to press the remote for 2 seconds, then wait 2 seconds and do it again for 2 seconds. The issue I seem to have is that the homelink button doesn't send a signal for 2 seconds even If I keep it pressed.
I'll need to play around with it using some other combinations, but I need to enroll the wife to help since I need to press in the car and receiver at the same time. Just wondering if anyone got it working already.

I tried but no luck. The instructions on my receiver says I need to press the code learn button and while that is pressed I need to press the remote for 2 seconds, then wait 2 seconds and do it again for 2 seconds. The issue I seem to have is that the homelink button doesn't send a signal for 2 seconds even If I keep it pressed.
I'll need to play around with it using some other combinations, but I need to enroll the wife to help since I need to press in the car and receiver at the same time. Just wondering if anyone got it working already.
No that is not the correct proceedure. Follow the proceedure on your tesla screen, ie press the homelink icon and setup a new location. It works best after your headlights are off. If you can’t get past your car acknowledging your remote, you will need a new reciever as outlined above. If you get past remote acknowlegement, press the learn button when prompted by your tesla.

IMG_1563.jpeg
I got my B&D controller working today ... Thanks paulp
WZWoaji

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: paulp
@mauri
Did you get this working? I have the GDO-9 enduro too. But I don't have a Homelink module in my MS, yet. I am considering buying a second hand module and installing it, as other have done. Just need the service center to enable Homelink once the module is installed.
But it would be good to know if you can get it working.
Marty.

@mauri
Did you get this working? I have the GDO-9 enduro too. But I don't have a Homelink module in my MS, yet. I am considering buying a second hand module and installing it, as other have done. Just need the service center to enable Homelink once the module is installed.
But it would be good to know if you can get it working.
Marty.
Given @mauri is using his own method rather than the tesla instructions, I’m not so sure that he will have success.

@ARMARM Can you give a quick overview of how this works? I have homelink enabled on my Model S, but can't get it to control my door (Gliderol Glidermatic) - will this merlin device solve the problem without changing the whole unit etc.?

Thanks for the help.

Your existing door control unit has to be able to accept an external input, in the case of my B&D unit the installation manual mentioned a keyswitch connection, all I did was wire it into that input, get a power supply for the Merlin receiver and it all programmed.
So now the car opens the door (the auto open/close feature is great), the merlin remote I got with the receiver opens the door and the existing B&D remotes open the door!

Reactions: James_B
I have an MY2018/05 MS, there has been no Homelink icon onscreen, so today I rebooted the UI and it appeared.

I followed the Tesla instructions, headlights flashed after about 25 seconds of continuous button holding and said it was programmed.

So far it doesn't open or close my (B&D) door, but I am two steps closer than before.

I have an MY2018/05 MS, there has been no Homelink icon onscreen, so today I rebooted the UI and it appeared.

I followed the Tesla instructions, headlights flashed after about 25 seconds of continuous button holding and said it was programmed.

So far it doesn't open or close my (B&D) door, but I am two steps closer than before.

Can i just make sure, when you say you rebooted, what you did was simply press both scrolls in at the same time? Or was there something else as well?

Cheers

Dilin

I have the same issue today with the door at my office. After the flashing lights there is a whole learn sequence that the door didn’t prompt on, so I dont think its compatible, hence I’ll be wiring in a merlin reciever on that door like I did at home

I have the same issue today with the door at my office. After the flashing lights there is a whole learn sequence that the door didn’t prompt on, so I dont think its compatible, hence I’ll be wiring in a merlin reciever on that door like I did at home
Hi Paul,
So the next step was learn on the B&D controller, I found the manual, but the B&D did not respond as it is meant to (as per the manual).

And as you mentioned, the car did not prompt to train the door receiver unit after accepting the remote, it just moved to the "test now" prompts.

Cheers
Matthew

Hi Paul,
So the next step was learn on the B&D controller, I found the manual, but the B&D did not respond as it is meant to (as per the manual).

And as you mentioned, the car did not prompt to train the door receiver unit after accepting the remote, it just moved to the "test now" prompts.

Cheers
Matthew
Best call gary 0414400954 and get a merlin reciever and remote. If you own a small screwdriver its very easy to wire in yourself, otherwise ask Gary to do it.

Reactions: ARMARM