TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Making phone calls from the Roadster - Best solution yet!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by NigelM, Mar 10, 2017.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Picked up a set of Apple AirPods last week and was delighted to discover I could make calls from the Roadster (even with no top on the car!) and have folks clearly understand me. Earlier this week I even spoke to another club member while I was doing ~70mph down the I-75 with no top....

These things work better than wired ear buds and MUCH better than the in-car system.
    AirPods.jpg

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
  2. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

Thanks, @NigelM!

I've been considering getting a pair of these, since my new iPhone 7 refuses to pair with the in-car system (earlier iPhones were never a problem).

3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I love my AirPods for these reasons and lots of others. They work great, and I can have a very easy time talking on the phone without yelling and the discussion never turns to "are you in a tin can?" They are a great product, and this is one of the reasons.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I concur - love my AirPods - and after Nigel told me how well they work in the Roadster (and I tried them there), I love them even more.

They're comfortable, hold a long charge, can be recharged by the case (which can be charged with or without the AirPods within) & the clarity is amazing.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Nigel and Bonnie: very happy to hear that the new AirPods work well for calls in the Roadster. I have some wireless Beats earbuds that are useless in my Roadster.

What about listening to music in the Roadster using the AirPods? Also good?

6. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Such first world problems :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

As an aside....no problem pairing my iPhone 7 with the Roadster Alpine; actually when I take the AirPod(s) out the phone automatically connects back to the Alpine.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Yes, also good. I'd note however that it's illegal in FL to have earbuds/AirPods in both ears while driving; that may also be true in other States.

9. ecarfan

Thanks Nigel. So what is it liking using just one AirPod to make a phone call in a Roadster at highway speeds?

Note: I am making no assumptions regarding whether or not you use AirPods in both ears or just one ear while driving. Just seeking information.

10. walla2

walla2 Member

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I only use one (local LE recently announced a crackdown on using two) and very happy with the performance.

12. glight2000

glight2000 Member

I have the AirPods and people on the other end of the line have trouble hearing me with the top off and windows up. I think we still need to find a better solution.

13. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

I just send all calls to voicemail and just enjoy the drive... :cool:

• Love x 4
  14. ecarfan

Yesterday I tried out the Air Pods in my local Apple Store. WOW. They sound amazing, way better than the wireless Beats earphones I've been using for a few years. I've ordered them as all my local Apple Stores were out of stock. 6 week delivery timeframe. They must be selling pretty well.

One of the cool features I appreciated is that when you are using them, if you remove one the audio pauses, making it easy to have a conversation with someone, then you put it back in and the audio resumes. Or you can just listen with one, as Nigel noted.

• Like x 1