Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making room for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wilhelmspencer

Model 3 Reserved 3/31/16 In Store 10:20 PST
Jan 30, 2015
Lynnwood, WA
Like many people on this forum, I am having to make some modifications to my house to accommodate our Model 3 arriving in a couple years. But it seems most of the mods are electrical related.

Is there anyone here doing more than electrical work? Like driveway modifications, other garage mods, building more space to make room? Etc. Etc?

I have a 1961 split level home with a one car garage attached that I am slowly formulating a master plan for.

Just wondering if there is anyone that can relate? :cool:

Personally I think it's way too early to be making electrical mods. The car isn't even out yet, so we don't know what kind of charger or amps will be needed. Yes I did see the new $500 wall charger Tesla released, but that may not cut it for the M3 in 2 years. So while I'm eager to get my garage ready, I'm going to wait until the specs are announced so that I don't have a chance of re-work and wasting money.

What if the M3 has a different charging option, like something you drive over?

I'm mulling over building a 6 bay (3 wide, double deep) barn/shop/garage with a dedicated 200A service. Does that count? :p

Wow. Thats a little more than what I had in mind...but you will be future proofing yourself! LOL

We already have a 50 amp subpanel in our garage. We installed it when we remodeled the basement of the house last year when had all the walls torn open. That was a lot of 6-3 cable to get from the main panel to the garage...but it was definitely worth it. So I will probably limit the charge capability to 30 or 40 amps.

As for the driveway, I intend on carving out some of the landscaping (mostly sloped grass) on both sides of the driveway to make it wider. We will be keeping our ICE SUV for towing and such, but will be using the Model 3 for daily commuting. So there will need to be space to pull out the Model 3 without having to move the SUV.

As for the junk in the garage (Tools, storage crates, etc), I think we will be building a small shed in the backyard for all the stuff to move to. The wife doesn't want to leave the model 3 parked outside. (I fully agree)

I have a little time to think things out, but will need to either move our tent trailer out of the garage (right bay) OR buy an extension cable for my existing 220V charger.

The current 16' cable won't make it to a M3 parked in left bay of my garage if charge port is on driver's (left) side. I would love to see an option for where the port is- passenger side would work best for me.