Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the case for an Apple solution to the looming Tesla battery crisis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whether or not you are aware, there is a looming crisis facing Tesla. Beginning in spring 2019, a software update, with hidden unannounced functionality, reduced the battery capacity and charging speed of many older cars. The details can be found in this 460 page + thread.

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

Much research by members here show clearly that it was done to reduce the risk of fires and battery failures during the warranty period, but by crippling the battery, not solving the actual battery issue. Thousands of cars have been affected, and whether or not you are, there is significant evidence that you will be eventually. I have been, sadly.

Apple did a very similar thing recently when they released iOS 10.2.1 which secretly throttled the CPU performance of the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE with older batteries due to unexpected battery failures. When this was discovered there was an outrage. In response Apple issued a short letter explaining the situation. They announced that the cost of replacing an out of warranty battery would be reduced from $79 to $29. They explained the reason for the slowdown and apologized for doing it in secret.

Tesla, take a lesson here. Come clean with what you did. Explain the reasons why. And if you can't actually fix the problem, drop the cost of replacement battery packs accordingly. Apple did the wrong thing, followed by the right thing. So far Tesla, you have just done the wrong thing. Make it right.

Stop the FUD.

There is no looming crisis.

What "what"? If your car was impacted, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the OP as FUD. But hey, it's an S problem, and your 3 is safe (for now, at least), so it's clearly "FUD." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do yourself a favor, go read the linked thread (even the first wiki post) and learn what's actually happening. Using OTA "updates," Tesla took away range, charge speed, performance, safety (in the form of regen breaking), battery warranty coverage (by delaying potential battery failures past the 8 year expiration) and resale value from pre-facelift cars with no explanation, compensation, or apology. The impacts are real. It is the exact opposite of FUD.

What "what"? If your car was impacted, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the OP as FUD. But hey, it's an S problem, and your 3 is safe (for now, at least), so it's clearly "FUD." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do yourself a favor, go read the linked thread (even the first wiki post) and learn what's actually happening. Using OTA "updates," Tesla took away range, charge speed, performance, safety (in the form of regen breaking), battery warranty coverage (by delaying potential battery failures past the 8 year expiration) and resale value from pre-facelift cars with no explanation, compensation, or apology. The impacts are real. It is the exact opposite of FUD.

I could care less about my car concerning this topic. Its not about my car and I'm not making it about my car. How did my car become a part of this?

Anyway,

I don't believe the findings at all.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
Stop the FUD.

Not everything you personally disagree with is "FUD" - I wish people would stop using that term here, it's really never helpful.

Back on topic, I don't think Tesla will actually address this issue, but they will standardize the battery pack technology across their models. Perhaps at some point in the future, new packs will be offered for older cars, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Maybe continue to push with Tesla on a case-by-case basis. The real life examples of trips no longer being viable with the update are quite compelling and might get you an offer from Tesla to replace the pack.

• Helpful
Not everything you personally disagree with is "FUD" - I wish people would stop using that term here, it's really never helpful.

Back on topic, I don't think Tesla will actually address this issue, but they will standardize the battery pack technology across their models. Perhaps at some point in the future, new packs will be offered for older cars, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future.

Maybe continue to push with Tesla on a case-by-case basis. The real life examples of trips no longer being viable with the update are quite compelling and might get you an offer from Tesla to replace the pack.

I don't like the word Crisis in the title. That isn't helpful at all.

I edited my previous post for spelling corrections.

Like this one.

I don't think its a crisis.....that's all. That's the only thing I have commented to.

You changed "I don't believe the article one bit." to "I don't believe the findings at all."

One suggests the conclusions are incorrect, the other suggests the data is incorrect, so quite different.

I don't like the word Crisis in the title. That isn't helpful at all.

It's hyperbolic for sure. You could have just said that.

You changed "I don't believe the article one bit." to "I don't believe the findings at all."

One suggests the conclusions are incorrect, the other suggests the data is incorrect, so quite different.

Because there is more than one article...I changed it to findings - to include all articles.

There are people who come here who aren't pulling for Tesla at all....and that's fine. Its not against the rules. I've been here a long time and I've seen long drawn out messages that don't help anyone at all - that only seem to make people question buying or owning a Tesla. The articles are well written and sound believable, but are vastly exaggerated and do a disservice to the truth.

Oh well...I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - I'm only saying that this isn't a crisis.

Last edited:
I thought I did say it. I said that there is no looming crisis in my very first statement.

Most people stopped reading after the "Stop the FUD" part. Usually when you want to counter someone's point, you counter their point. If you start by undermining what they've said, it comes across as antagonistic and the counterpoint won't be heard.

Even with all that, you've actually offered no explanation as to why you think the prior thread and article with all of the evidence showing range loss and peak charging speed loss, is either false or misleading. It's one thing to say, OK this may be true but it's not a crisis for Tesla; but another thing entirely to just say "this isn't true at all".

• Helpful
Stop the FUD.

You might want to peruse the content of the class action lawsuit currently making it's way through mediation. It will in all likelihood ultimately result in Tesla replacing many thousands of battery packs under warranty (or more likely buy them out) and also likely face significant NHTSA penalties. I promise you those in the know at Tesla consider it a looming crisis.

Tesla considers it a looming crisis. They've increased their reserves on warranty money set aside and are under an NHTSA investigation that will probably result in billions of dollars in fines for trying to hide the problem.

For what is worth. I have a Model 3 Mid Range and my 90% charge is ~ 215 miles now. It was 237 miles @ 90% when I first picked up the car 10 months ago.

I would definitely like to see that back, since 20+ miles can serve as buffer to some of the trips I plan to take.