Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the Model 3 trunk lid close more easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I worry that I almost have to slam it shut to get it to latch properly. I assume this tweak doesn’t affect the latching mechanism, right?

No changes to the latch. The lid still pops normally, and the springs in the bumpers still provide a fair bit of force to stop rattles.

The lid will unlatch normally even with the spring bumpers completely removed.

Here's another idea - this guy changed out the struts:

Related - the I1Tesla guy (sorry, forgot his name) changed the frunk struts so the frunk opens up automagically when you use the app or the screen:

I bought the frunk struts but haven't had time to install and test them out...

Cheers!

Uhhh, why not just push down on the trunk to close it? People are that scared to touch their paint? I closed the trunk on my WRX for 16 years this way (even with pushing on the spoiler) and never had any issues.

As someone who used to be big into detailing and prefers black cars....with even the slightest amount of dirt/grime on the paint....even the slightest rub of your fingers will introduce micro scratches. Some people might not notice or even care about it....some will. I’ve even trained my daughters to not close my doors by touching the paint ;)

The other thing that could be done is to install small strip or square of PPF in the area under the license plate to push down on....and after a while if it gets scratched....pull it off and install another one. You can buy it pretty cheap or even get a scrap from a PPF installer. I might go this route...what’s the worst that can happen....I don’t like it and just take it off.

Some of y’all need to hit the weights. Just sayin.
p1025.gif

Uhhhhhh, no! bad idea.

I've found that its a one hand operation with the RPM tailgate closing option.

There are other factors - such as a persons height / strength / weight / etc...…

Closing the trunk is not the same for everyone.
I never stated that I couldn't close the trunk with the RPM tailgate with one hand. I choose not to due to reasons that I mentioned in my earlier post mainly the screws at the bottom of the license plate.

The lifting power is provided by the struts, not friction in the hinges.
'

Right. If you look back at my post again you'll see I didn't mention the hinges at all. I'm weary of anything that could affect the strut hydraulics, which lubrication of the strut shaft could do, especially not knowing how they perform in the cold. But I've had the rear hatch of a car fall on my head due to a strut failure, so a trunk that wants to stay open is fine by me. Please let us know how it works as we get into the winter.

I always close my trunk from the license plate but sometimes it's pretty dirty. So the RPM tailgate closing option piqued my interest and I discovered a clear, cheaper option, with decent reviews on Amz for $9.99. What the heck, worth a shot.....

Saw that too when I was poking around the internet for options. I'm surprised there aren't more things like this - what kind of uncivilized world do people exist in?!? LOL

Please post pics once you get it and have it mounted. Thanks

Last night I finally got to spend some time looking things over, doing the full initial vehicle inspection (a week late, but found zero issues), and doing some poking and prodding.

Like with my last car (bought in 2001), there is more than enough momentum from pulling on either of the inside handles built into the trunk lid to get the trunk to fully close without having to touch the outside. Am I just lucky it's sufficiently lubbed?

Yes, I agree about the frunk, I always feel like I may permanently distort the frunk cover so I always press lightly till it "clicks". I'm so used to just dropping the hood cover like my G35.

Regarding our trunk I don't really have an issue with closing it. We picked up our M3 last month in August so I don't know if they reduced the resistance or the spring tension. I won't cut springs though, can't revert back to the original design!

Can anybody use a modeling clay before and after the spring cut mod.
Lay the clay on the lip where trunk lid approaches when banged (the place where you should never leave fingers when closing).
Those springs should stop lid from ever touching the other painted part.
Also apply 90kg (big human) of even pressure on the trunk and observe the gap between trunk lid and vehicle panel edge.
Minimum distance left on the clay should not be less than 2-3mm (as with time and climate conditions, that will shrink)

Saw that too when I was poking around the internet for options. I'm surprised there aren't more things like this - what kind of uncivilized world do people exist in?!? LOL

Please post pics once you get it and have it mounted. Thanks

Here is a short video and attached a few pics. Doesn't stick out too bad and it's been a week and I have forgotten it's even on there. Covers the Model 3 lettering of the factory chrome license plate holder but doesn't bother me and ease of use is good and it's comfortable to the hand when is use. For $9.99 I think it's a winner.

Any suggestions for short people? My wife is under 5-foot and has a difficult time closing the trunk.

There is a little hole on the Tuf Grip if you can see it on the lip from my pics or vid. You might be able to attach some twine or durable string through the hole on the Tuf Grip (like a knot of a hoodie string) and route the string/twine through the screw holes behind the license plate so the twine or string is inside the trunk and will dangle down for her to pull down the trunk to close when the trunk is opened. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20180921_175852.jpg
    20180921_175852.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20180921_175841.jpg
    20180921_175841.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20180921_165155.jpg
    20180921_165155.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 175
  • 20180921_164749.jpg
    20180921_164749.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 181
  • 20180921_163242 (1).jpg
    20180921_163242 (1).jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 167
The "perfect" method for closing the factory new Model 3 trunk is quite easy and doesn't require any strength.

1. Start closing by grabbing the handle inside of the trunk lid and start moving the trunk down.
2. Once you are past the pivot point, relocate this hand and position it on the rear license plate frame/bracket.
3. Execute a firm push down and the trunk will close and latch.

It doesn't require any real strength to do, and for step 3 my 4 year old is definitely strong enough to do it. Doing it this way also means you never come into contact with the car's paint, so you're not going to scuff it up by repeatedly putting your hand on the trunk deck.

Cutting springs and messing with factory parts? Uh, no.