Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the Model S the Best Car Ever (laws of physics need not apply)!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Serious Suggestions

I'll start by repeating what's been said before: the Model S is the finest car ever built. But, that doesn't mean it cannot be improved. Here are some suggestions for some obvious fixes. And, I'm not talking about the sun visors or cup holders; I'm suggesting some serious improvements that will really make this car a success! Frankly I'm disappointed that Tesla didn't figure this all out without me. Must I think of everything?

Round Trip Downhill Routing

Like other Model S owners I can see that the car gets significantly better mileage when going downhill. Obviously the more downhill driving we can do the better. Tesla needs to get with Google to add an option to the navigation system for downhill routing such that one could drive downhill both to and from any particular destination. My trip to work each day is downhill. If I knew the route that would get me back home that was also downhill I would, of course, take it. This is clearly a simple fix for the navigation system. Yes, maybe this would involve a few extra minutes added to the daily commute but the benefits are well worth it.

Add a Second Re-Gen System

The re-gen system is fantastic. But, as we all know, it isn't perfectly efficient. The energy returned going downhill or when coasting isn't equal to the amount of energy expended going uphill or getting up to speed. But there is a simple solution here! Add a second re-gen unit and that would double the amount of energy regained. This would, of course, add a bit of cost to the car, but think of the benefit! Couple this idea with the downhill routing (see above) and I think this car could be a winner!

Jacuzzi Anyone?

Am I the only person that thinks the footwell for the rear facing seats would make a perfect hot tub? The addition of a Jacuzzi here would make a perfect option for those that don't need/want the rear facing seats. Imagine you've just finished a long and difficult commute. A few minutes in the onboard hot tub would be heavenly!! I know what some of you are thinking: "Water is heavy and the added weight would reduce the car's range and efficiency." First, see the two points above! Second, I would use distilled water; everyone knows that minerals can be heavy and once removed the water would weigh less. Further, as Tesla builds out its lineup in the future it might be possible (in a slightly larger configuration) for the addition of a lap pool. By adding a hot tub now Tesla will gain valuable insight about mobile aquatic options. Look, if Elon is confident about going to Mars (and I'm happy to help with some of the details for that venture) then adding a hot tub or lap pool to an electric car cannot be difficult. And, as a stock holder I would hope Tesla would make the hot tub a high margin option.

Helium

Despite being made of aluminum, the Model S is heavy. For those of you that don't quite get the physics involved, this is largely due to the weight of the batteries. Simple solution: helium. There are clearly empty spaces within the structure of the Model S that could be made air tight (helium tight?) into which helium could be added. Properly done, based on my back of the gum wrapper calculations, up to 1,000 pounds could be removed from the weight of the Model S. Jackpot: Another gain in efficiency and range! Added bonus, even better handling.

Fuzzy Dice

Would it have killed Tesla to throw in a free pair of fuzzy dice with every purchase? All the cool cars have them! Imagine driving around town with a pair of fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror! Some of you may be thinking that this might be considered a bit ostentatious and might generate attention in the form of gawkers and photo takers etc. I say, "So what? Let 'em gawk!" Like I said, all the cool cars have them and if Tesla wants to enter the cool car category they need to get in the game!

Concluding Remarks

That's all of my major suggestions at the moment, but I'm sure I will have more ideas about how to really make the Model S the best car ever! Oh, and just to be clear, I'm not looking for any monetary compensation for these ideas: a simple tip of the hat (and a pair of fuzzy dice) will suffice!

Happy Motoring!

Round Trip Downhill Routing

Like other Model S owners I can see that the car gets significantly better mileage when going downhill. Obviously the more downhill driving we can do the better. Tesla needs to get with Google to add an option to the navigation system for downhill routing such that one could drive downhill both to and from any particular destination. My trip to work each day is downhill. If I knew the route that would get me back home that was also downhill I would, of course, take it. This is clearly a simple fix for the navigation system. Yes, maybe this would involve a few extra minutes added to the daily commute but the benefits are well worth it.

While the idea is great, this is gonna be almost impossible to implement.

Take for example:

Your home lies at an elevation of 200 ft above sea level.
Your office lies at an elevation of 10 ft above sea level.

Regardless of going up or down on various roads between the two points, physics dictates that the overall trend will be downhill to work and uphill home. Trying to pick downhill roads going home presents the driver with no real good options - all options will involve having to somehow climb the car 190 ft higher one way or another. This results in a paradox at best.

To illustrate my point:
stairs2.gif
but alas such is only an illusion.

Great post! Loved every word. I especially find it hard to believe that Tesla hasn't already considered the Twin Regenerator option, what fantastic thinking on your part.

I feel the frunk area is put to too little use. They could easily find space there for some sort of power generator unit, perhaps petroleum powered. This could be used for warming the car or even charging the battery! As it would generate considerable noise, it would be a safety feature when driving near pedestrians. And foul emissions could easily be remedied by sticking a pipe out the back of the car, ensuring complete driver comfort.

While the Model S is currently a zero-emissions vehicle, Tesla could do much better. By sucking CO2 in through the front, a small rainforest could be maintained in the trunk, resulting in a carbon negative car. With a option for palm trees, the rear jacuzzi would be pleasantly tropical. Nice!

Jacuzzi Anyone?

Am I the only person that thinks the footwell for the rear facing seats would make a perfect hot tub? The addition of a Jacuzzi here would make a perfect option for those that don't need/want the rear facing seats. Imagine you've just finished a long and difficult commute. A few minutes in the onboard hot tub would be heavenly!! I know what some of you are thinking: "Water is heavy and the added weight would reduce the car's range and efficiency." First, see the two points above! Second, I would use distilled water; everyone knows that minerals can be heavy and once removed the water would weigh less. Further, as Tesla builds out its lineup in the future it might be possible (in a slightly larger configuration) for the addition of a lap pool. By adding a hot tub now Tesla will gain valuable insight about mobile aquatic options. Look, if Elon is confident about going to Mars (and I'm happy to help with some of the details for that venture) then adding a hot tub or lap pool to an electric car cannot be difficult. And, as a stock holder I would hope Tesla would make the hot tub a high margin option.

Helium

Despite being made of aluminum, the Model S is heavy. For those of you that don't quite get the physics involved, this is largely due to the weight of the batteries. Simple solution: helium. There are clearly empty spaces within the structure of the Model S that could be made air tight (helium tight?) into which helium could be added. Properly done, based on my back of the gum wrapper calculations, up to 1,000 pounds could be removed from the weight of the Model S. Jackpot: Another gain in efficiency and range! Added bonus, even better handling.

1) I would like to add that rubber ducks should be included in the jacuzzi
2) helium should just be pumped into the tires/tyres

I would suggest an intricate system of mirrors to facility reverse driving and instead of the second regen unit a much simpler oversized rubber band apparatus that stores the kinetic energy from going downhill to the workplace and when going home again simply doing so in neutral, reversing the car back home, being pulled all the way by the oversized rubber band device.

I would suggest an intricate system of mirrors to facility reverse driving and instead of the second regen unit a much simpler oversized rubber band apparatus that stores the kinetic energy from going downhill to the workplace and when going home again simply doing so in neutral, reversing the car back home, being pulled all the way by the oversized rubber band device.

Excellent idea. I think I'll go buy some major stock in some rubber band companies.

Although the driver is otherwise occupied, passengers have their legs free...to pedal. Put them to use Tesla! These freeloaders should be generating electricity instead of just sitting there listening to music and playing video games.

Oh, and what about those electron thingies that keep going from one place to another. Couldn't Tesla have like little treadmills for them to go on, and then the treadmills make electricity?

Obviously, I am not as educated as some of you, so I had to think a while on this. I think I came up with something that will help, albeit not completely solve, part of the problem.

I am constantly reminding New Tesla Owners that if they want better range, simply slow down. Well, Tesla could solve the problem quite simply. When driving in Range Mode, the speedometer automatically registers 10 - 20% low. Going with traffic, your car would suddenly be able to get 300 miles per charge easily, and perhaps, with more adjustment, even 400 miles per charge! New records would be made and broken daily. With further speedometer adjustment, you would soon register zero miles per hour, and infinite range.

This seems, to me, far simpler than solar panels, extra regen, or helium in the tires.

While the idea is great, this is gonna be almost impossible to implement.

The trick here is not to have both ways downhill, which isn't possible, but to have the right mix of grades. That is short steep uphills followed by a long gentle downhill uses less power than a long gentle uphill followed by a steep downhill. Although in a round-trip scenario the elevation change would be the same in both cases, the power used would be less if the correct mix of routes was used.

This downhill-uphill thing is giving me a headache. A simpler solution is to simply level out the route between home and work (or any other pair of destinations). This would have the added advantage of removing the mountains that so inconveniently block the view of the ocean for those in the interior of the country. As a bonus, nothing would get the economy moving faster than putting people to work on this important landscaping project.