Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Malvern East ---> Bendigo (return, same day)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's everyone think about going from Malvern East to Bendigo (return, same day) on a Model S 70?

May do another 30km's on the day at most.

On EVTripPlanner it says 344km's in total (or about 58kw used), not counting the 30km's "guesstimate" on the running around town.
  1. Think it's possible without charing (I get about 365km's on a full charge)?
  2. If not possible on a single charge, which would be the most reliable charging location? Kennington Village Shopping Centre maybe?
  3. When it says 22kw (on Tesla Destination Chargers) how many km's per hour does this usually add?

What's everyone think about going from Malvern East to Bendigo (return, same day) on a Model S 70?

On EVTripPlanner it says 344km's in total (or about 58kw used), not counting the 30km's "guesstimate" on the running around town.
  2. If not possible on a single charge, which would be the most reliable charging location? Kennington Village Shopping Centre maybe?
  3. When it says 22kw (on Tesla Destination Chargers) how many km's per hour does this usually add?

22kw will provide a dual charger (pre April 2016) about 102kms typical range in one hour, just remember to confirm that any 22kw Tesla HPWC is actually set to max of 22kw before you arrive.

That'd be tight without using the destination charger - doable, but tight, especially if you hit rain or whatever. Do you have dual chargers?

I don't have dual chargers, but through I could charge up for an hour at the Destination Tesla (22kw) Kennington Village Shopping Centre....that would give me I guess 50km's?

So 365 + 50 = 415km

172 x 2 (each way) + 30km (during the day) = Leave 41km, or about 11% remaining....

Still too close?

I am not sure about S70, I have an S75D, my typical range at 100% is 387km. As far as I know S75D's typical range is calculated based on 187 Wh/km consumption. I usually get about 200 Wh/km in the city and roughly 170-175 Wh/km with highway driving, so there is a good chance, that you'll get more than 365km on the highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: baillies
I don't have dual chargers, but through I could charge up for an hour at the Destination Tesla (22kw) Kennington Village Shopping Centre....that would give me I guess 50km's?

So 365 + 50 = 415km

172 x 2 (each way) + 30km (during the day) = Leave 41km, or about 11% remaining....

Still too close?
11% isn't close :) Worst case on highway driving you just slow down a bit, or drop in to Richmond on the way back. Extreme weather aside you should romp it in.

Ok, so weather was perfect (no wind, 24C etc.) and on the way to Bendigo (from Melbourne) I average around 190kw...on the way back I averaged less than 130kw! (with 21inch wheels)....forgot about elevation :)

I did charge up at Kennington Village Shopping centre. 2x dedicated Tesla chargers there, free to use and easy to fine...I got 55km's per hour (non-dual charger)...only stayed for 45mins as I really didn't need it as it turns out....

Image to prove I averaged less than 130kw, I was going at 104km/hour....however when in 110km/hr zones I was at 114km's/hour etc.

Attachments

• IMG_6657.jpg
    IMG_6657.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: lennier