TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Malware on TMC?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by AcidTest, Jun 15, 2017.

1. AcidTest

AcidTest Member

I just navigated to the TMC home page from my workplace, and after a minute or so it sent me to a page saying that a malware had been detected and the file that attempted to download was blocked.

Not sure if this could be a false positive but figure it's best to provide info. I was able to go back to the home page and haven't seen a repeat in the few minutes I've been on it. Unfortunately I didn't capture any relevant info that might have been shown on the warning page. If I see a repeat I'll try to.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Just tested this, for the heck of this, and no alarms from all my AV software.... you might want to scan your PC with your local software just to be sure.... couldn't hurt!

3. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Sometimes the advertisers ad come from sites that have hosted malware before. It could be that.

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Also possible it was a bad ad masquerading as a malware alert. Social engineering at its finest.

5. AcidTest

AcidTest Member

This wasn't an ad, it was a complete page from my company's network security software. But I guess it could have been triggered by something external to TMC.

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Did the warning specify a file or URL?

7. PluggedINLife

PluggedINLife Member

There are ad companies that target websites for popups. They are malware that can be downloaded to both mobile and desktop as toolbars or apps that trigger a pop-up when a user visits certain domains or keywords in a domain. It's called PPV advertising and has to do with 3rd party apps and not really TMC. I had it on my Android device and did a full reset on it to get rid of apps and only installed what I use and it has not shown up since.

8. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

That's why it's best to use AdBlock with your browser (Chrome is the safest on most platforms). This will stop in-line advertising (sorry Doug) but protects against "Malvertising" which is when ads with malware slip past the Google and other inline advertising servers.

• Like x 1
  9. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

That's why its nice to be a supporting member :)

• Like x 1
  10. AcidTest

AcidTest Member

We have Chrome at work but everything is locked down very tightly, so I can't install Adblock or other extensions. (I checked.)

I tried reloading several times and haven't seen a recurrence so far, though. Unfortunately I didn't grab any details from the initial warning page.

11. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

If that's possible, ask to get a new user account on your computer.

This will give you a new clean environment.

Let then log in to it and try to see if you encountered the same problem.

Or log into your account using another computer that you never used before.