Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Malware on TMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just navigated to the TMC home page from my workplace, and after a minute or so it sent me to a page saying that a malware had been detected and the file that attempted to download was blocked.

Not sure if this could be a false positive but figure it's best to provide info. I was able to go back to the home page and haven't seen a repeat in the few minutes I've been on it. Unfortunately I didn't capture any relevant info that might have been shown on the warning page. If I see a repeat I'll try to.

There are ad companies that target websites for popups. They are malware that can be downloaded to both mobile and desktop as toolbars or apps that trigger a pop-up when a user visits certain domains or keywords in a domain. It's called PPV advertising and has to do with 3rd party apps and not really TMC. I had it on my Android device and did a full reset on it to get rid of apps and only installed what I use and it has not shown up since.

That's why it's best to use AdBlock with your browser (Chrome is the safest on most platforms). This will stop in-line advertising (sorry Doug) but protects against "Malvertising" which is when ads with malware slip past the Google and other inline advertising servers.

Reactions: M0DEL³
We have Chrome at work but everything is locked down very tightly, so I can't install Adblock or other extensions. (I checked.)

I tried reloading several times and haven't seen a recurrence so far, though. Unfortunately I didn't grab any details from the initial warning page.

If that's possible, ask to get a new user account on your computer.

This will give you a new clean environment.

Let then log in to it and try to see if you encountered the same problem.

Or log into your account using another computer that you never used before.