Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well folks, for those of you who have been following the Supercharger thread, you will see that all 3 SC's along 395 have been eliminated. Not just for now or coming soon, but through 2015. While I appreciate Gene's work on getting 14-50's installed at that one hotel, such a solution turns a 4.5 hour trip into an overnighter. This is very upsetting to me. As a die-hard Tesla fan-boy, I must express massive disappointment. My purchase was definitely affected by the initial roll-out, with the plan of installing these SC's being the tipping point for my decision. I do not have another vehicle. Without these SC's, I am forced to rent a car for approximately 20 days a year. Not cool.

Well folks, for those of you who have been following the Supercharger thread, you will see that all 3 SC's along 395 have been eliminated. Not just for now or coming soon, but through 2015. While I appreciate Gene's work on getting 14-50's installed at that one hotel, such a solution turns a 4.5 hour trip into an overnighter. This is very upsetting to me. As a die-hard Tesla fan-boy, I must express massive disappointment. My purchase was definitely affected by the initial roll-out, with the plan of installing these SC's being the tipping point for my decision. I do not have another vehicle. Without these SC's, I am forced to rent a car for approximately 20 days a year. Not cool.

Although this does not affect me, I see your point. Tesla has shown that they will adjust their rollout plans dynamically. It is time for you SoCal/Mammoth-Mtn folks to start a letter/e-mail/call/blog campaign to get these Superchargers back.

A fallback would be to work together to put in a set of 80-Amp J1772 or HPWC's on the route. 2 or 3 of those along the way could be huge; maybe you could even get Tesla to donate a few to you for this effort. Remember installation can cost as much or more than the EVSE, and the key resource is a dedicated parking place.

Although this does not affect me, I see your point. Tesla has shown that they will adjust their rollout plans dynamically. It is time for you SoCal/Mammoth-Mtn folks to start a letter/e-mail/call/blog campaign to get these Superchargers back.

A fallback would be to work together to put in a set of 80-Amp J1772 or HPWC's on the route. 2 or 3 of those along the way could be huge; maybe you could even get Tesla to donate a few to you for this effort. Remember installation can cost as much or more than the EVSE, and the key resource is a dedicated parking place.

I agree. I do not have twin chargers though, so I would be limited to 30 mph.
I have a letter prepared to TM that I will shoot off this morning.

I am hoping the omission of 395 is a temporary oversight. The Owens Valley is one of my favorite places in any season. There is tons of LA traffic that heads up that way. I have the strong feeling it is only a matter of time until Tesla realizes this (obviously they already had before, that is why I think this is temporary, especially as Model X sales would be effected to a small degree).

I'll send an email to Tesla as well. About HPWC, I can think of a couple of possibilities where they would be welcome. First place to come to mind is Boulder Creek just south of Lone Pine, as there have been a few Model S charging there already on 14-50. Boulder Creek: Home

Well, I am glad I have my twin chargers. I travel to Canada as well, the main reason I bought the twin chargers. 50+ mph charge.

You can email [email protected]

Here is a sample of what I sent them:

Hello Friendly Tesla folks,

I am hoping HWY 395 in California is not really losing the future chargers previously planned. Bishop and Ridgecrest or Pearsonville would have been ideal. There is a huge amount of Los Angeles population, the kind of folks that own Teslas, that travel these parts for recreation. Barring any Superchargers, if Tesla would like to donate one or two HPWC, I would take on the effort to locate businesses will to make the installation.

Kind regards, Gene Rubin

generubinaudio.com

Check out my video of grey whales of baja:
Baja Beaches, Baja Whales and Surfing Baja - YouTube

Last edited:
I too have sent a letter. While I love many aspects of my MS, a decisive factor for me was the ability to make this trip in a fashion similar to an ICE vehicle. The MS is my only vehicle (except for a antique which would never make the drive). As much as I hate to say it, it is likely that I would not have bought the car given this change. Yes, I could rent a car, but now the costs of ski season just jumped by easily $2,000 given rentals and gas.

Total Relief!!! I complained to Tesla regarding the Mammoth/395 issues and receive a response in a matter of minutes!! Great news too!!! (cross posted on the Tesla Supercharger Network thread)

Thank you for your email. We are so glad to hear you are enjoying your car and appreciate your continued your support in Tesla.

We updated our maps just yesterday and there are a few dots that did not transfer over in the process. The route along 395 is one of the routes that was mistakenly left off of the map and this is being corrected on the backend as we speak. In fact, we can let you know that this route is a priority for us and you will be able to drive from Los Angeles to Mammoth and back with Model S as planned in 2014. Apologies if we scared you with that omission and thank you very much for bringing it to our attention.

If you have suggestions for future sites, please tell us about them here—our developers use this database first when scouting new Supercharger locations.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements (there are lots more coming soon across the US!). Again, we appreciate your enthusiasm in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thanks,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Lee Vining is only 60 miles from Bishop. Then again, most of that's uphill. A SC there would be almost necessary for access to Yosemite from the Eastern Sierra. The only other option would be to say overnight there and trickle charge.

Lee Vining is only 60 miles from Bishop. Then again, most of that's uphill. A SC there would be almost necessary for access to Yosemite from the Eastern Sierra. The only other option would be to say overnight there and trickle charge.

Yeah, you are going to eat up serious charge climbing up to Lee Vining. On the other hand, you could probably bypass Bishop if you were headed South with a Lee Vining charge. Coming down the grade there at Bishop should add a lot of regen.

There is an RV park in Bishop that is open all year (Highlands RV). They are EV friendly and charge 25 cents a KWH to charge from metered 14-50s. It's the best way to get around until the Supercharger is in. I've driven from Bishop to South Reno on a standard 85kWH charge, so it should be easy to get from there to Mammoth Lakes and back (or to the charger in the Yosemite Village Store parking lot when 120 is open).

There is an RV park in Bishop that is open all year (Highlands RV). They are EV friendly and charge 25 cents a KWH to charge from metered 14-50s. It's the best way to get around until the Supercharger is in. I've driven from Bishop to South Reno on a standard 85kWH charge, so it should be easy to get from there to Mammoth Lakes and back (or to the charger in the Yosemite Village Store parking lot when 120 is open).

Thats great to know.

Please tell us more about your trip to Reno. Did you range charge? How many miles did you actually travel and what range did you have left upon arrival?

I'd also like to see a SC near Bridgeport. I go up there at least once a year for camping over highway 108. There's a lot of uphill headed south from Bridgeport to Lee Vining. Without this it looks like I'll be renting or borrowing a car for the trip. Then again, I'm not sure it's the best place to take my P85 MS... 8 miles over dirt roads though it has been on dirt roads before (which it handled beautifully, much better than my Prius did).

Have you gone the other way as well? For that matter have you (or anyone else here) done Bishop to Barstow.

According to doing a range charge, rated miles indicate Bishop to Barstow shouldn't be a problem for an 85kWh pack, but how about the other way? Our preferred route to and from So. CA is along 395, but this year we traveled I-5 all the way from Centralia, WA to Harris Ranch because of the superchargers. Then over to 99, down to Bakersfield and then over to Barstow. If I knew we could make it, I'd go up 395 from Barstow and overnight in Bishop and then on to Reno when going home this Spring.

That plug share listing doesn't make sense to me. It states "dryer outlet HPWC Tesla (Model S). A Tesla HPWC is double the amperage of a 240V 40A dryer plug. I doubt that RV park has a real Tesla HPWC. Note that the comment in the plug share listing says that it "charges at 28 mph" which is what a NEMA 14-50 40A charges at. An HPWC charges at twice that speed.