Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed there's destination charging at the Westin in Mammoth Lakes! Called them up and it's free if you eat at the restaurant or stay overnight. A full charge there will take an 85 KWh car all the way to the Barstow Supercharger, thanks to a 40-mile elevation advantage going South. Still a pain driving North to Mammoth until the Lone Pine Supercharger opens.
Woo hoo!!

I just made the drive up to Mammoth early this morning. Along the way, I surveyed Mojave a bit for any signs of construction. Nothing that I could see. It was dark and I could have easily missed something. I also cannot find anything on the internet regarding permits.
Lone Pine is unchanged from 2 days ago (obviously).
Couldn't see anything in Bishop either, but then again, we are talking about a much larger area.

The routes up the 14 and 395 are looking really good. Again, for those that missed it, Inyokern is already under construction. Looks like it will have a solar canopy too.
So, now we have:

• Mojave (permitted)
  • Inyokern (under construction)
  • Lone Pine (under construction)
  • Bishop (on Tesla's Coming Soon map)

So, the last big question remains: Where will the Bishop SC be located? I have searched the county and Bishop websites looking for permits without success. Then again, I was also searching for Mojave and Inyokern and never found those myself, so I no longer trust my searching capabilities. :redface:

With Inyokern completed, Mammoth is officially doable without going to Barstow. With Mojave scheduled to be operative next week or so, Mammoth is comfortably reachable from anywhere in West LA even in a 60. While, according to EVtripplanner, a round trip may not need a charge in order to return to Lone Pine, there will likely be significant vampire losses while up there in the cold. If Bishop if ever opened, then there are no worries at all.

Now, here is the big question: Is it worth renewing a MVP pass for next season? They are offering a $100 credit if purchased now. I received a $200 credit this past season, and barely squeaked out 7 days. I managed to use the $200 on rentals and lifts for my son, so it was worth it.

I am renewing all of ours. I guess I am hopeful on the snow. I am heading up there for easter with a buddy and our combined kids. Total of 7 in the model s should make for an interesting ride.

But I am mostly renewing so I can let the autodrive take me up there a bunch of times next season. :)

I just got off the phone with one of the Commissioners for Mono County, Tim Fesko. I found his name through some of the Commissions minutes were he had some positive comments on the Lone Pine installation. As it turns out, he runs an RV business, and has had quite a few Tesla's renting spots for chargers. He really wants one in northern Mono Co. He was also interested in Destination charging. I told him the Tesla is very responsive to suggestions, and passed on their information to him so that he may contact them.

I am really hoping for Bishop, so I do not have to charge in Mammoth at all, and for Lee Vining, so that Yosemite and all points north become accessible.

Last edited:
I stayed there a few nights ago, and I was not charged to use the HPWC. As you approach the facility from Meridian, make a short left onto the cross street, and then an immediate right to the driveway that leads to the underground parking garage. Proceed until the you see the elevators on your left. The parking way splits, so keep right and you can see the four HPWC and the Clipper Creek charger in the distance. Make a left and back in.

I suppose you ought to advise the front desk of your intentions if you are not a guest.

I just spent several days backpacking in Tuolomne Meadows. I took an ICE and blew it. I could easily have made the trip there and back had I stayed at the Village. Using EVTripPlanner, the route from Mammoth to Tuolomne and back to Lone Pine uses only 162 RM, going at a speed of 1.1. Even with vampire loses while leaving the car parked there for 4-5 days, I still could have easily made it.

Lesson learned.

I was under the impression from Tesla that they were providing the destination chargers to locations provided they would not charge Tesla owners for the use. Yes, you have to be a patron (dining or lodging) but not a fee. Hmmmm.

I was under the impression from Tesla that they were providing the destination chargers to locations provided they would not charge Tesla owners for the use.
I would not assume that is correct. Tesla is indeed providing destinations with free HPWCs if Tesla feels it is a legitimate business but I do not think Tesla can control whether or not the destination charges Tesla owners for using the HPWC.

Mammoth Lakes Superchargers

Greetings from Mammoth Lakes! We (Town council) just approved an agreement with Tesla on September 16 to install 8 superchargers located at our town park and ride lot on Old Mammoth Rd. The plan is to be up and running before winter, we very are excited to be on Superchanger Map very soon. We look forward to seeing you in town.

Greetings from Mammoth Lakes! We (Town council) just approved an agreement with Tesla on September 16 to install 8 superchargers located at our town park and ride lot on Old Mammoth Rd. The plan is to be up and running before winter, we very are excited to be on Superchanger Map very soon. We look forward to seeing you in town.

Excellent! Well done.