Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

... Man dies trapped inside corvette...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BOLD and Underline added by me in the quotes below for emphasis.

This means the emergency release latch will always work, whereas in most other cars that have the child-lock enabled, there is no way to open the door from the inside. Isn't that a bit safer in the emergency case?

No, this is very much less safe than those cars. Child locks are actually in use on a very small percentage of vehicles at any one time, yet the Tesla denies you emergency escape on every vehicle, all of the time.

The hidden emergency pulls are basically useless, people who know a car that well rarely sit in the back seat (except children who are the ones that you may want to stop from using them, so basically the emergency pulls are far more likely to be used by a child trying to circumvent the child locks, then by anyone in an emergency situation.)

You're right (and I agree with you) when comparing to cars that do not have the child-locks enabled, but when you say "those cars" with my quote, your statement inherits my definition of what those cars are. And I clearly stated that in the subset of vehicles that have the child-locks enabled, the opposite is true. I made no claims about the percentage of cars that do or do not have them enabled. I don't mean to be pedantic, but in this case, you're saying I'm wrong because you've misinterpreted an arguably-subtle detail in what I said.

Besides, I only offered an explanation about why the mechanical release is "hidden"... and why it can't be done the same way as the front doors (which everyone seems to think is such an obvious solution that Tesla missed). I agree it could have been done better, but at a cost. For instance, they could have used the front-door mechanism with an added solenoid in each door that could mechanically "disengage" the mechanical override when child-locks were activated. This way, you'll have mechanical override when the the child-locks are disabled and you can still enable/disable the child-locks by the touchscreen.