Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man Down!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really sorry to hear of this, Pete.

So, you now have the distinction of being:

--the first poster here with a P90D
--the first poster here to have a P90D damaged in an accident
--the first poster here to ever give the person responsible for causing the accident a taste of Ludicrous Mode (and very possibly the first poster here ever to give anyone a test-ride after being hit by them, but I can't say that for certain!)

Really sorry to hear of this, Pete.

So, you now have the distinction of being:

--the first poster here with a P90D
--the first poster here to have a P90D damaged in an accident
--the first poster here to ever give the person responsible for causing the accident a taste of Ludicrous Mode (and very possibly the first poster here ever to give anyone a test-ride after being hit by them, but I can't say that for certain!)

Hmm, is that good or bad? ;)

Thanks. I've been so thrilled to be able to share so much with everyone. I really thought in the end there'd be very little to discuss or that it'd be just another PXXD, but apparently not.

Hmm, is that good or bad? ;)

Thanks. I've been so thrilled to be able to share so much with everyone. I really thought in the end there'd be very little to discuss or that it'd be just another PXXD, but apparently not.

The first is definitely good. (Especially in light of how much info you've been sharing!)

The second is definitely bad, though not your fault.

The third may get you nominated for sainthood.

That explains why you got rear ended. He probably expected you're going to launch it, and he doesn't want to be embarrassed by the distance between your P90d and his 645i

I was thinking the same thing! Definitely a "my sports car can beat your sports car" complex, especially if he's a young guy driving a Beemer, in CA (I added that part just because people in CA have a reputation for show-offiness) {flame off}.

wow, that situation truly is ludicrous. I think it helps that he understood your anger, many would just put the blame on someone else. Impressed with how you're handling it as well.

Make sure you stick with a Tesla certified shop, and check things such as parking sensors, etc.

Good luck, and keep us posted please.

I would also recommend the Tesla certified shop. My CPO had to be repainted and because the prior didn't go through Tesla, Tesla said they wouldn't stand by it through the CPO warranty and I had to pay for repainting the passenger front fender and door out of pocket. Had the prior owner used a Tesla certified shop, we could have made a paint warranty claim to redo the work.

Sorry this happened Pete90D!

I do not think you would be hiding anything if you did not have to go through insurance. Really depends on the deductible.
This is only my opinion:
1. DEFINITELY use Tesla certified Shop for repair.
2. Too variable if reported on CarFax but I would not want to take that chance. IF you want to sell this, say in 5 years and there is a CarFax report this will deter MAJORITY of buyers. You are an honest person. Take pictures, show repair at certified shop, AND if/when listing car be very up front with a picture showing minor damage to potential buyer
3. Even though this was not your fault, if you submit through ins. co. this could technically affect your monthly premiums when renewing.
4. If deductible is $1500 and damage is $3k to fix... I rather just pay the $3k and let any potential buyer know exactly what happened

Keep us posted.

Sorry this happened Pete90D!

I do not think you would be hiding anything if you did not have to go through insurance. Really depends on the deductible.
This is only my opinion:
1. DEFINITELY use Tesla certified Shop for repair.
2. Too variable if reported on CarFax but I would not want to take that chance. IF you want to sell this, say in 5 years and there is a CarFax report this will deter MAJORITY of buyers. You are an honest person. Take pictures, show repair at certified shop, AND if/when listing car be very up front with a picture showing minor damage to potential buyer
3. Even though this was not your fault, if you submit through ins. co. this could technically affect your monthly premiums when renewing.
4. If deductible is $1500 and damage is $3k to fix... I rather just pay the $3k and let any potential buyer know exactly what happened

Keep us posted.
Not sure how insurance works in the states, but if it wasn't his fault, his insurance shouldn't go up. It's the insurance of the person that hit him that will go up.

He's wearing the socks and flip flops. Me... just flip flops

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if this is something that California does? I honestly didn't even think about the diminished value when it happened.

I can feel the pain what you went through. My car was side swiped in a parking lot. When I returned from the shop with a i phone 6 and there was this scratches and tail light broken on my poor car.

I felt the anger but could not show on anyone because the person who did it ...did not even leave a note.

Yes definitely file a diminished value claim. I got $6K cash on top of having the damages totally paid for by the at-fault driver's insurance company. You first need to get an appraisal by a 3rd party. The appraiser should tell you how much value your car lost due to the collision. Submit the appraisal to the other driver's insurance company. No questions should be asked.