Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Man fatally shot during altercation at Tesla charging station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t see how it was self defense....either the shooter was carrying the weapon...in which case his motives and state of mind must be questioned....or he returned to his car to retrieve it...in which case he could have just left. Nothing short of the dead man having a weapon in his hand is a defense...in my non legal opinion

Did he take someone’s space...or worse, park next to someone and split the charge?
It was at a fairly new v3 Supercharger, so no charge splitting at this location.
I can’t see how it was self defense....either the shooter was carrying the weapon...in which case his motives and state of mind must be questioned....or he returned to his car to retrieve it...in which case he could have just left. Nothing short of the dead man having a weapon in his hand is a defense...in my non legal opinion
The news reported two guns were found at the scene but we don't know yet who they belonged to.

Playing devil's advocate. With a gas station you are manning the hose, so not able to drive off. If you choose to stand and hold the EV plug while charging, you can drive off in about the same amount of time. Also, the longer the stay, the more likely there will be other cars fueling up there at the same time. So if you are a criminal looking to jump someone while refueling, it seems gas station is a better target - victims are already outside of the car, there less likely to be other cars around.

So a couple of things.....here in NJ, there's no self-serve gas stations. 100% of them are full service. So at least here, you are always sitting in your car while it's refueling.

But I lived my entire life in NY (where there are self-serve gas stations) until a few years ago and I can tell you that nobody stands there with their hand on the fuel nozzle. I used to get back in my car until the pump clicked off, but that's just how I did it....especially if it was cold are crappy weather. And nobody is holding the EV charge plug either....right? I mean, especially when the minimum charging stop is at bare minimum going to be 20 minutes.

Gas stations are typically more busy than charging locations....so I'd say a criminal mind would probably see a charging location as a better target for that reason alone. The only real advantage I see for charging locations is that they don't use cash as payment, so that may definitely be a point in favor on charging stations.

I realize you're playing devil's advocate as you mentioned, but in all seriousness, people need to be aware of the potential dangers when they are sitting in their car for a half hour with a charging cable plugged into their car that completely disables it from being able to drive away in an emergency.

🐑

I think the lesson here is that Hollywood movies are not the sources people should be using for conflict resolution. Use your words and your brain, and leave your firearm at home. The Rambo culture stuff is ridiculous.

Next you are going to say that Hollywood is getting love and relationships in the movies incorrect as well...

• Funny
Reactions: electricar

Because you (like most of us) were not there and do not know all the facts. Internut quarterbacking these kinds of issues is not healthy.

Maybe this will be the impetus for Tesla to finally implement some sort of virtual queueing system for supercharging so there’s no arguments or fights about who was there first.

I agree that a que system would be nice. However, some here have already figured out that it was a gun issue and if neither of the drivers had guns, they would be in a drum circle pulling 250kWh in charging.

When guns kill more kids in the US than literally anything else, the "good guy with a gun" BS rings more hollow than ever.
I can understand the anger and frustration but that is not quite accurate. Children aged 1-17 have a greater risk of dying of vehicle-related injuries. I do agree that the numbers are close but the CDC does not break out suicides with firearms or gang on gang violence which also conflates the numbers. Violence in general is a bad thing. Removing the tool from the attacker just means the attacker will use another tool.
As for the later part about a good guy with a gun, most mass casualty shootings happen in gun free zones where law abiding citizens don't carry.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect your view. Just wanted to add some clarity.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The rest of the world has Hollywood movies, angry teens, pissed off drivers, violent video games, mental health problems, etc just like the US. What they don't have is more guns than people, military hardware available no questions asked at every " gun show ". What they do have is a small fraction of the gun deaths we have. Gun violence is as American as apple pie and is on an upward trajectory. At some point the public will have had enough. As a gun owner I would think that it is time for my fellow gun owners to embrace sensible reforms. Nobody needs military hardware - lets make it illegal, a waiting period for purchases, and thorough background checks including at gun shows would be a good start.

Playing devil's advocate. With a gas station you are manning the hose, so not able to drive off. If you choose to stand and hold the EV plug while charging, you can drive off in about the same amount of time. Also, the longer the stay, the more likely there will be other cars fueling up there at the same time. So if you are a criminal looking to jump someone while refueling, it seems gas station is a better target - victims are already outside of the car, there less likely to be other cars around.
1st off, to suggest someone stands next to their car the entire time they are charging is absurd.

Second, Gas stations are transitional spaces and are a very common targets for robberies, armed and otherwise. In my earlier comment I said I always carry on road trips (areas I am not familiar with) but I did not say I always drive my Tesla. I am just as much a target in an Escalade at a gas station, as I am in my Tesla at a Supercharger. Only difference is gas stations are well lit, often busy, usually have cameras and I am only there for 5-10 minutes. Superchargers in rural areas have none of those attributes.

Reactions: White Shadow
Because you (like most of us) were not there and do not know all the facts. Internut quarterbacking these kinds of issues is not healthy.
It maybe Monday morning quarterbacking but you have to remember over here in France it’s a VERY long morning until our American cousins come online and provide us with more information.....so I thought I’d pass the time in a controversial fashion..

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
1st off, to suggest someone stands next to their car the entire time they are charging is absurd.
Exactly, with EV's people are in cars more, which makes it harder to rob them, as it gives them time to call the police, possibly pull a weapon, etc. You are a lot more vulnerable when holding a gas pump handle to your car than sitting inside a locked vehicle.

Second, Gas stations are transitional spaces and are a very common targets for robberies, armed and otherwise. In my earlier comment I said I always carry on road trips (areas I am not familiar with) but I did not say I always drive my Tesla. I am just as much a target in an Escalade at a gas station, as I am in my Tesla at a Supercharger. Only difference is gas stations are well lit, often busy, usually have cameras and I am only there for 5-10 minutes. Superchargers in rural areas have none of those attributes.
Once there are more EV's, EV charging stations will be busier than gas stations, if for no other reason than the fact that it takes longer to fill up. I've been to gas stations in rural areas where there is nobody there at night, no other cars either, and the the lighting just puts makes you stick out like a sore thumb, as everything around the station is all dark.

My point was that EV charging stations are no more a target for crime than gas stations, perhaps less.

Reactions: electricar
So a couple of things.....here in NJ, there's no self-serve gas stations. 100% of them are full service. So at least here, you are always sitting in your car while it's refueling.

But I lived my entire life in NY (where there are self-serve gas stations) until a few years ago and I can tell you that nobody stands there with their hand on the fuel nozzle. I used to get back in my car until the pump clicked off, but that's just how I did it....especially if it was cold are crappy weather. And nobody is holding the EV charge plug either....right? I mean, especially when the minimum charging stop is at bare minimum going to be 20 minutes.

Gas stations are typically more busy than charging locations....so I'd say a criminal mind would probably see a charging location as a better target for that reason alone. The only real advantage I see for charging locations is that they don't use cash as payment, so that may definitely be a point in favor on charging stations.

I realize you're playing devil's advocate as you mentioned, but in all seriousness, people need to be aware of the potential dangers when they are sitting in their car for a half hour with a charging cable plugged into their car that completely disables it from being able to drive away in an emergency.
I see your point, and agree that there are dangers in both EV chargers and gas stations. I'm just not sure either is clearly higher danger/risk.

PS>Some gas stations have been removed the "click" lock from their pumps. I've come across this when I travel and rent ICE cars. I asked at one station in CA IIRC, and they told me it's some regulation (which is possible, I can see it being a politician's knee jerk reaction to some freak accident).

Status
Not open for further replies.