Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Managed to use up a set of rear tires in 5400 miles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got 4 new 21" Hankooks .... quieter than the DW's were.
Actually, this is an interesting criteria for me.

When I got tires for my last "fun car", I went with the Michelins in part because the (supposedly?) different compound they use had a much longer wear rating. The "downside" was that they were "loud". In that vehicle, I didn't care.

In the Model S, I kind of do care about tire noise/volume. What's the best way to include tire noise in the comparison shopping process for new tires? Is there an official metric or just review commentary?

By my standards, those tires haven't even reached their midlife crisis yet. I usually only start worrying about switching em out when I start to see sparks outta my rear view mirror.. :)

Yeah but if he's already chewing into the hard stuff on the inside, he could easily suffer a blowout - which would then destroy the rim and possibly more (this is assuming the blowout doesn't cause a spinout and a full on accident). Never mess with tires and brakes on a car. They are your life.

Manufacturers make directional tires of which these are examples. I have moved tires across the car (dismounted and remounted) effectively running the "Outside" marking on the inside. I could not tell a lick of difference in the performance wet or dry. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do for everyone but it certainly worked for me.

I would be very interested to hear if others have similar experiences. Looking at the above photo for example you can tell that the pattern is slightly different on the outside and inside of the tire... But would it affect performance? Safety? One thing I'm thinking is that the diagonal groves going outwards must have a function when it comes to deviating/transporting water away from the grip surface on wet pavement? And if the tire is mounted "inside out" then would water be transport inn towards the midtline instead of outwards, away from the car? And if so would it matter?

One could easily assume that one aspect of this whole issue that the tire manufacturers wouldn't like you to know that it's safe to remount the tire inside out since this would effectively probably double the life of the tire on a car like the Model S (driven hard).

I have a Corvette convertible and I get good tire life. I am not sure about the camber setting on the Corvette, but I have no problems if I go into a curve hot and let off the accelerator. I don't do this because the car is like it is on rails. I ordered the 85P+. I hope it is easier on tires than the 85P. I probably won't drive as aggressively in corners with the Model S. I love to accelerate hard when making a 90 degree turn. I have the magnetic ride suspension on the Corvette. I suspect the suspension on the 85P+ uses similar technology. With the magnetic ride I have never experienced the tires leaving the road. I had an earlier model Corvette without the magnetic ride suspension, and I could get the tires airborne.

What's the best way to include tire noise in the comparison shopping process for new tires? Is there an official metric or just review commentary?

If you subscribe to and trust Consumer Reports, they issued a fairly thick 2013 Best and Worst New Cars issue that covers tires. They rate dry/wet braking, ride, noise, traction, tread life, hydroplaning, etc, etc. Model S was in their car list, but at the time of issue, they had no data on it yet so couldn't say much on it. The July issue is the one we're waiting for and should be out next week (first week of June). :love: