TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Managing the charge cable from overhead

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by billlanger, Dec 8, 2013.

1. billlanger

billlanger Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    I thought I would share my solution for managing the Model S charging cable in my garage.

For a number of reasons. I did not want to park the Model S next to the garage wall that had the 14-50 outlet. Instead, I wanted to park one stall away. However that involved some how bridging over another car and managing the Model S cable so it did not fall to the ground when unused.

The solution is shown in the attached photos.

I used a Camco 14-50 30 foot extension cable "Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle" to rise from the outlet, to the ceiling, across to a point above the Model S charge port, but enough forward to not interfere with the overhead door. Disclaimer: Note that Tesla advises against using extension cords.

You can see in the closeup that the extension cord is supported from the ceiling with a 1/4 inch eye hook and pulley. 1/4 inch nylon cord is attached to the cable with a velcro wrap ( available from West Marine for 99 cents, buy a bunch they are handy for lots of things). It is a good idea to use a rope and pulley to support the cord, because of its weight and the need to adjust for the proper catenary shape.
    Now the part about supporting the Model S cord. The excess cord is coiled and velcro tied to the handle of the Camco extension cord. Note that doing this allows me to easily retrieve the Model S cord if I need to take it with me, by simply lowering the Camco cord on its pulley.
    Another eye hook is screwed into the ceiling (be sure to screw all the eyes into wood for support). The second eye hook has another length of 1/4 inch cord wrapped around the eye twice with one end terminating in a knot or handle and hanging within reach. The other end is secured to the Model S cord, about 3 feet from the end that plugs into the car.

Adjust the Model S cord coil at the ceiling so it can reach the charge port on the car. When you are done charging, grab the hanging end of the nylon cord and support the Model S cord as you hoist it up out of the way. The two wraps of the nylon cord around the eye hook provide enough friction to keep everything in place. If you need a little more friction,, I suggest attaching a rubber dog toy to the end. The ides is that the 1/4 inch cord and the weight should not bother the car should it brush by it. Simple eh? Well, it works for me and except for the Camco cord is very inexpensive. IMG_01.JPG IMG_02.JPG IMG_03.jpg