TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Managing the music on the hard drive over my home network

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Discoducky, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm hoping that while Model S is parked, charging, in the garage and connected to my home network, I'll be able to see the hard drive and manage the content. Primarily music, but playlist support is key like .m3u Playlist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone know if this will be supported? It might be assumed, but I thought I'd ask since it would be a big miss if the hard drive was not accessible from my home network or standard playlist support was not available. :eek:

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'm curious as well. Would make management super easy. Proper security though I hope.

3. Majerus

Majerus Member

It would be cool if it was DLNA compliant.

4. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Just some decent way to load up music would be nice. On the JVC 40meg drive in the Roadster it was terrible. Even better if it syncs via wifi. What I'd really like on wifi is to auto download my favorite podcasts.

5. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

I'm hoping it's as simple as just uploading my Playlist since it's always managed on my iPhone anyway?

6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

No iTunes like synching please. I would love to see basic file sharing (SMB), FTP or DLNA

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

The problem with such open file sharing arrangements is that someone with technical prowess can take advantage of it to potentially introduce malware into the system. What is most convenient for us become a most convenient asset of access for them. That cannot happen in such a critically vital component as the Model S computer system. Granted, they have likely isolated or compartmentalized much, it would likely take some additional software engineering to assure that malware could not be introduced by open file sharing constructs.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Or a script kiddie.

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Yep. I've said it in the past; I hope Tesla keeps an eye on the security aspect of things. OTA updates, remotely monitoring your cars etc. All that's going out over some protocol and it would be disastrous for that to become compromised. Would give Wardriving a whole a new meaning.

10. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

Most of the current systems just let you copy files from a USB device or SD card. Works fine.

11. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

I would say it would be a huge mistake not to cater to the masses and offer iTunes syncing! Sure, add other formats as well, but don't leave the majority feeling they were forgotten.

12. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Agreed. Just so long as there is some security involved. I agree that we should also have some connectivity to other devices and support multiple formats, but it's nigh impossible to keep everyone happy. It's amazing how many people might protest and call this the most ridiculous application of in-car entertainment, simply because they cannot get their ogg vorbis tracks to play!