TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Manchester TN Supercharger

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Mike Robinson, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Does anyone have charging experience at the Manchester TN supercharger? The Tesla supercharger map indicates that it has max 72 KW charge rate. That seems really low. Can anyone verify from experience what charge rate you get at that location?? Thanks!

2. VaztheDad

VaztheDad Member

I saw my typical 105-109 (`16 90D), and times were no different than what I see from most other locations.

Enjoy the stop, it's behind a Dunkin Donuts.

3. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Great, thanks! I feel better now

4. jackhodges

jackhodges Member

I have charged there several times going to and from ATL. Coming from Southern KY (Model 3 LR RWD), I typically start out around 100KW+ and taper down fairly quickly. We typically don't have enough time to enjoy Dunkin Donuts or Waffle House (across the street) until we are more than charged to hit the road again. It's a great stopping point coming from ATL and will get you back to ATL

5. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Yes, I charged there today. Made it from Peachtree City GA (south of Atlanta) to Manchester TN SC with 13% remaining. Charge started at 109 kw and went down pretty quickly.

6. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Charged at Manchester TN SC again today. Got max charge rate of 138 kw for a while, then reduced as SoC increased.

7. fwiw

fwiw Member

I stopped there twice on cross country trips. I didn't notice any reduced charging.
    It's a nice on-off location. Behind DD and across from a McD.
    Only had one other car charging and was able to park in the shade. Great for a quick nap.

8. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

Supercharger.info, which is more reliable than the Tesla.com maps, shows this as a "normal" Supercharger station not an urban supercharger station.
    That was also my experience a few months ago.

9. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

Showing my ignorance here: what’s the difference between “normal” SC and “urban” SC??

10. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

#10 M3BlueGeorgia, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    About 75 kWh.

"Normal" Superchargers share ~150 kWh dynamically between each A/B pair, which is why you should always try to find an unoccupied A/B pair to connect to (or guess who has been there longest). But if a "normal" Supercharger station gets congested, people can see their charging start in the 30's and slowly rebalance.
    Benefit is that if you find an unoccupied A/B pair, you can see charging speeds up to 147.

"Urban" Superchargers expect congestion and heavy usage, so instead Tesla make a hard split of the ~150 kWh, which means all pedestals max out at 72 kWh, but when you plug in you are going to get 72 regardless of how many other cars are charging.

11. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Besides the behavior difference M3Blue gave, there's also a physical design difference. The urban superchargers look exactly like the picture in Tesla's blog post announcing the new equipment/strategy

[​IMG]

12. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

I see, THANKS for the explanation!