Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mandatory Speed Limiters from July 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently, it is coming and all new cars are required to have the boxes fitted. It will be interesting to see what they do as manufacturers such as Tesla have pushed back that the requirements are difficult to implement with current tech/satellite data connectivity and can be overridden each time they kick in anyway.

Personally, they should just restrict cars to the national speed limit and move on. We have way too many signs on our roads and yesterday the Tesla camera misread a 30mph sign as a 20mph as it was off to one side. My VW repeatedly got speed signs incorrect and read the 55mph signs on the back of trucks and would buzz/chime. So infuriating!

Ought to just restrict to 70mph as mentioned above (if it has to happen at all).

There's a hill I go down on my commute which has a 20mph side road off which my car catches the limit signs on, without fail, and if I'm on AP it brakes down to that speed, which is very annoying.

There's a hill I go down on my commute which has a 20mph side road off which my car catches the limit signs on, without fail, and if I'm on AP it brakes down to that speed, which is very annoying.

I have a very similar issue. Downward slope and ahead is a 30mph side road, road I'm on is 60. Road I'm on curves right.

Every time here the car incorrectly reads the 30 as the road I'm on. As I have the speed warning chimes set above a certain value, this difference triggers the bongs every time.

Does anyone know if this mandatory speed limiter EU regulation is coming in July this year? With an EDD sometime in May I'm hoping my MY will not have this fitted!

Your new MY will not have this. Sensationalist headlines that mislead.

July 2022 date only applies to newly launched models (i.e first sales of that new model), for existing models (e.g. M3, MY) then the date is July 2024.

Reactions: curmudgeon
I've no issue enforcing speed limits. The root cause is the driver and not the car.

But I do worry about unintended consequences of change.

I've seen drivers forget headlights because they are use to a car with auto headlights. I hope we don't have a situation where drivers learn reliance on the system and not the road signs.

Reactions: Xdama
Source for "zero real world effect"? There is lots of evidence that speed has a huge contribution to road safety, for example the average chance of death from an accident in a 20 limit is 2.5%, whereas it's 20% in a 30 limit. For example see https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/20-mph-zone-factsheet.pdf

I have zero issue with limiting speed and the data shows less deaths when it’s reduced however, until they sort the GPS out to be super reliable we’ll see little benefit. Or they implement some sort of tag system that tells the car what speed it is when they pass a marker on the road. Whatever, it’s going to happen whether we like it or not if we want to keep our own mode of travel.

Sigh every time the press regurgitate this story they get it wrong.. this it's not a speed limiter in the sense you're all taking it.

It's haptic feedback as you cross the speed limit. Pressure on the accelerator pedal or (after lobbying from car manufacturers who said that was too hard) audio/visual warnings - not sure if the engine power stuff is optional in that case, that's new since the draft I last read. It even says in the legislation to make a hard limit would be dangerous as it could prevent safe overtaking etc. and also acknowledges GPS databases have errors.

Tesla already conform probably as they have visual feedback (it's *possible* they might force enable a bong or something), although I'm not a lawyer to tell.

Last edited:
But that's the worry.

Because it's not a limiter, they should not have called it a limiter.

It's a speed assistant warning. It should not be left to the media to communicate this, because the media are getting it wrong.

Reactions: M1tch