TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Manual - Dashcam with constant 12v power

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by johtah, Jul 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. johtah

johtah New Member

I worked out an manual on how to install dashcam on the Roadster.
    The information could be useful for those who want to learn. :smile:

DSC_0192_web.png

See the attachment. PDF file

Attached Files:

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Awesome. Thank you.

3. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Very nice instructions!

4. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

Great instructions, but why must the unit stay live 24 hours per day?

What is wrong with unit coming on when car comes on?

How many amps is the unit?

Are you not afraid that the fuse will be over extended and will blow if the alarm goes off. Then you lose both camera AND alarm and the car can be easily stolen.

Best,

T

5. johtah

johtah New Member

The main reason is that when your car is parked some place and someone has an "accident" the camera will pick it up.
    Great to have if you are parked in a public place. Another great use is when you are on the road and you find your self in an accident and both parties are denying
    responsibility. Video footage is great evidence towards the insurance company.

The fusetap has 2 available slots.

The camera unit uses 5 amp fuse.
    The Alarm has 7,5 amp fuse

In any case the 5 amp fuse will blow first. The camera unit will stay intact.
    If the alarm fuse blows for some reason then it would not have any difference in firstplace if one have the fuse tap on or not.

The camera unit draws max 4,8W

:)

6. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Thank you - its good to keep roadsters up to date with new technology.

7. m0rph

m0rph Member

Thanks for the great write-up. I'm planning to install the Parrot RNB6 with the optional HDR Dashcam when it's finally released..

Parrot_RNB6_DashCam_full_HD.jpg

8. JohnGarziglia

I have also installed a dashcam using a similar installation although I only put in a front camera and not the rear. In restropect, I probably should have also put in a rear one.

Several things I noted in my installation:

• The power cable for the windshield mounted camera should probably not be run up the same side of the windshield that contains the radio antenna (the RH side for US cars). Radio reception is already problematic enough with the radio antenna going up inside of the windshield. Putting a 12 volt wire next to the radio antenna will only make radio reception worse. Put the wire under the plastic molding on the LH side of the windshield. If you do this, the wire can be hidden behind a rubber molding strip of the same type used on the RH side for the radio antenna. It is TESLA Part No. 6005503, and the cost is approximately $30 (pretty expensive for a strip of rubber but it makes both sides of the inside windshield identical).
    • A dashcam that is on all the time will run down the 12 volt battery. To forestall that possibility, I installed the Blackvue Power Magic Pro which will shut off power to the dash cam if the battery voltage level drops to a certain level.

Hope this is helpful.

9. m0rph

m0rph Member

This is great information! TMC rocks :)

10. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

MassDrop is running a deal on the BlackView 650 that includes the Power Magic, it'll up being either 309 and 299 depending on the number of people that opt to buy, the opt in period ends in 4 days.

The other relatively affordable way to get one in the states is to 'import' one from Amazon.ca. Its about 400 CAD ends up being about $320 USD, cheaper than you can get them from Amazon.com (~350). However, there may be warranty implications as a result of importing the device this way. You'd also have to buy the Power Magic separately.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Very nicely done! Thanks for the write-up.