Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual door handle (interior) rolls window down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone knows about how you are not supposed to use the interior release handle because it "may" damage the window trim. In a new Youtube video (below), it looks like the manual handle rolls the window down just like the button. Is this new behavior via a software update? If so, it seems like you would only damage the trim in the event of a loss of power or if you open the door quickly before the window can clear the trim.

Is this a software update that now allows unlimited use of the mechanical handle?

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Brady12 and fseir
Everyone knows about how you are not supposed to use the interior release handle because it "may" damage the window trim. In a new Youtube video (below), it looks like the manual handle rolls the window down just like the button. Is this new behavior via a software update? If so, it seems like you would only damage the trim in the event of a loss of power or if you open the door quickly before the window can clear the trim.

Is this a software update that now allows unlimited use of the mechanical handle?

I think you’re right, that damaging the trim would only happen if there was no power for the window to lower, before opening the door. Makes a lot of sense, and realizing this makes me less worried that someone is going to damage my door by accidentally pulling the manual release.

Not sure if this is a new feature, or if it’s always been this way. My guess would be the latter.

I guess the other possibility, as Nick says in the video, is that the manual release could allow someone to open the door faster than the window could lower (like if you were already pushing out on the door as you were pulling the release?). Probably pretty unlikely, so again, this puts my mind at ease about the manual openers.

Now I just need to understand why the center console flip lid gives an error when you close it too hard!