Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Emergency Door release Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this video and thought it might be of interest.
It describes the fitting of an emergency door release, Just in case the electrics get shorted on a crash.

There's a balance of probabilities to consider. The scenario whereby the electrical door release doesn't work is in the less likely area, especially given the backup electrical system that is installed as standard ... the scenario where child in the back finds loop in the door pocket when messing about and then pulls it is perhaps in the more likely category! It's my understanding that the reason there is no manual door release in the back (in Tesla and other manufacturer's vehicles is for that very reason; child safety (when child locks are operating the button won't let the door open).

Reactions: Alex987854
There's a balance of probabilities to consider. The scenario whereby the electrical door release doesn't work is in the less likely area, especially given the backup electrical system that is installed as standard ... the scenario where child in the back finds loop in the door pocket when messing about and then pulls it is perhaps in the more likely category! It's my understanding that the reason there is no manual door release in the back (in Tesla and other manufacturer's vehicles is for that very reason; child safety (when child locks are operating the button won't let the door open).
Good point

I came across this video and thought it might be of interest.
It describes the fitting of an emergency door release, Just in case the electrics get shorted on a crash.
I thought there was an emergency door release in the armrest anyway, the bit at the front of the window controls?

Thats certainly how its described in the owners manual at least.

Quite common for this not to be supplied on the rear doors too and with a child in the back is probably the way I would want it

I thought there was an emergency door release in the armrest anyway, the bit at the front of the window controls?

Thats certainly how its described in the owners manual at least.

Quite common for this not to be supplied on the rear doors too and with a child in the back is probably the way I would want it
There's only one on the front doors not on the back doors despite the existing mechanism inside the panel as per the video.