Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual firmware update (for new charge port)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swapped my original charger back in, hooked up the HV system and was able to successfully redeploy. Doesn't help get the new charger working, but useful for troubleshooting I guess. Per the service manual, this redeploy is supposed to be done with the HV loop disconnected and a 12v charger on the battery. This is how I was attempting it. Is this correct, and should this work?

Redeploy.JPG

Per the service manual, this redeploy is supposed to be done with the HV loop disconnected and a 12v charger on the battery. This is how I was attempting it. Is this correct, and should this work?

I think you are missing the point that a redeploy only works if the car is on the latest firmware, which yours isn't. It would probably work if the replacement charger was on the same, or older, firmware, but I don't think it will downgrade the firmware in the charger. So you either need to upgrade your car or find a replacement charger with an old enough firmware version.

I think you are missing the point that a redeploy only works if the car is on the latest firmware, which yours isn't. It would probably work if the replacement charger was on the same, or older, firmware, but I don't think it will downgrade the firmware in the charger. So you either need to upgrade your car or find a replacement charger with an old enough firmware version.

Interesting. I didn't know components couldn't be downgraded. What should I look for in the syslog to confirm this?

So I tried the procedure again, except this time I connected the HV loop before attempting the redeploy. It successfully downgraded the firmware on the new charger and paired it to the car. New charger is in and supercharging is now successful. It seems the service manual has the steps out of order.

Model S P85D late 2014 with AP1 and MCU1.
After firmware update 2020.20.1 everything worked OK. But after a main screen reboot I had:
- no microphone function
- no navigation voice guidance
- no streaming sound.
- no USB music.

I tried the described procedure using command factory-redeploy "modules_to_skip":"ic,sierra,ape"
First try gave me a Gateway error failure. Tried again today and command took and while updating it played my favorite streaming station. After many clicks and black screens, the update completed and screen still had light blue background BUT microphone and streaming worked. As described previously I rebooted the screen to get rid of the blue background and now I am in the same situation like before - no microphone and streaming. Will try the redeploy again and if necessary will live with the light blue background until the next firmware update. Any detriment to that?
Looks like 2020.20.1 has a serious problem in my car.

After firmware update 2020.20.1 everything worked OK. But after a main screen reboot I had:
- no microphone function
- no streaming sound.
- no USB music.

I tried the described procedure using command factory-redeploy "modules_to_skip":"ic,sierra,ape"
First try gave me a Gateway error failure. Tried again today and command took and while updating it played my favorite streaming station. After many clicks and black screens, the update completed and screen still had light blue background BUT microphone and streaming worked. As described previously I rebooted the screen to get rid of the blue background and now I am in the same situation like before - no microphone and streaming. Will try the redeploy again and if necessary will live with the light blue background until the next firmware update. Any detriment to that?
Redeploy won’t help you as you’re not needing to provision software for any ECUs. It sounds like there’s something wrong with your MCU itself. Try a reboot or two

- no microphone function
- no streaming sound.
- no USB music.

To me it looks like your eMMC is starting to show its age. Did you replace it with the Swissbit chip? How many miles does you car have? Being a 2014, it's in the sweet spot for eMMC failure.

If after reading this, you suspect your eMMC is bad, take action ASAP. You don't want to lose your car keys.