Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual liftgate operation - Volt vs Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One or more of the stoppers are probably set out too far. Mine closes much easier than what you are showing but I've had multiple mis-adjusted stoppers that were too far in, causing a different issue. A warning, don't just adjust them all the way in because the liftgate could make contact with the bumper and leave a mark. I created this thread to assist with stopper adjustment.

Quick reference to resolving pulsating air issue cause by liftgate

Thanks, I tried this but so far no luck. My B stopper on the right was out further than the one on the left but that's the only adjustment I made - to even up the sides of the hatchback door a little. I've never had the wind noise like an open window as you described, knock on wood. Playing with this did give me an excuse to take the car up and down the highway, so at least there's that! I may play with it some more but my hatchback still takes a lot of effort to close.

I picked up my 2015 Model S last Thursday, and was too cheap to pay $3k for the package with the power liftgate in it. I was hoping that the Tesla liftgate would operate like my 2011 Volt. Unfortunately, it takes much more effort to close the Tesla than the Volt. Attached is my comparison video. Hope this helps someone currently in the buying stage considering what the power liftgate vs manual liftgate will mean to them. I still wouldn't buy it, but I do hope Tesla makes the manual option a little easier to use.

[video]https://youtu.be/_LvsSspDz4U[/video]

Thanks for the useful information. It costs $ 1,000 more now between the original configuration I had before April and now.

Thanks, I tried this but so far no luck. My B stopper on the right was out further than the one on the left but that's the only adjustment I made - to even up the sides of the hatchback door a little. I've never had the wind noise like an open window as you described, knock on wood. Playing with this did give me an excuse to take the car up and down the highway, so at least there's that! I may play with it some more but my hatchback still takes a lot of effort to close.

Did you try turning the A stoppers in a little? If that didn't make the liftgate easier to close, there may be an issue with the latch or something. Mine isn't an issue to close. It's heavier than any other car ive had and takes more effort to get it going downward, but it always latches.

Did you try turning the A stoppers in a little? If that didn't make the liftgate easier to close, there may be an issue with the latch or something. Mine isn't an issue to close. It's heavier than any other car ive had and takes more effort to get it going downward, but it always latches.

No, I will try this though. I'm working out of town and don't have time to experiment at the moment, but thanks for the idea. Hope it works.

Ford sold Volvo back in the last 2008/2009 economic bust. Volvo is owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, that also owns Geely Motors in China. Volvo is a Chinese owned company at this point - blah!
Ford may not own Volvo any longer, but there are good indications Volvo still has access to freely use or license Ford technology given the way they name and implement certain features in ways identical to Ford.

my new car without power liftgate is similarly hard to close, I can't actually close it using the inside handle, i have to slam it closed from the outside/pressing on the top of the trunk when closed, and even then often the car says its not fully closed... the power liftgate on my old car with the power liftgate in the tech package would sort of pull it in and close it tight, if they had that to at least finish the last cm it wouldn't be so bad. Annoyed with that option change -- won't be using the trunk much anymore

my new car without power liftgate is similarly hard to close, I can't actually close it using the inside handle, i have to slam it closed from the outside/pressing on the top of the trunk when closed, and even then often the car says its not fully closed... the power liftgate on my old car with the power liftgate in the tech package would sort of pull it in and close it tight, if they had that to at least finish the last cm it wouldn't be so bad. Annoyed with that option change -- won't be using the trunk much anymore

I'm getting used to slamming mine. I was initially reluctant - don't like doing anything violent to my baby. But now I'm grabbing the handle and pulling down with a lot of force and it closes ok. It shouldn't be that hard to close, no doubt about it.

If your manual liftgate is hard to close, it's either the stoppers adjusted wrong or its just broken and the service center needs to fix it. If I turn my stoppers out one extra turn, the liftgate will not close properly and has to be slammed. This is a 5 minute fix, really.