Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Software Update Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla - please develop a software update button that we can press when we are connected to WiFi.

Tesla is capturing incredible market-share and as such people in condos/apartments are now buying Teslas. These same people do not always have a WiFi connection at night in their shared parking structures, to be amenable for the current way of establishing a software update.

As such, it would be incredibly useful for us to drive to, a Starbucks for example, get connected to a WiFi hotspot, and manually download the update.

We can then head home and install at a time we please.

This is how every update-able thing in this universe operates. We shouldn’t have to connect to WiFi for days on end and keep fingers crossed to see if a download has occurred. And that is assuming we can connect in the first place.

Tesla - please reconsider the current way of establishing software updates as not everyone has a home with private garage in which to park at night.

False. Can’t just connect for 10 mins and assume it’s updated. Doesn’t work like that.
Likely your VIN based on profile and location is just not eligible to receive the update yet. When your car is ready for the update, you will receive the notification. Sometimes some VINs get skipped for some unknown reason. In that case you just need to open a service request under software update and they will push it to you.

Tesla - please develop a software update button that we can press when we are connected to WiFi.

Tesla is capturing incredible market-share and as such people in condos/apartments are now buying Teslas. These same people do not always have a WiFi connection at night in their shared parking structures, to be amenable for the current way of establishing a software update.

As such, it would be incredibly useful for us to drive to, a Starbucks for example, get connected to a WiFi hotspot, and manually download the update.

This is how every update-able thing in this universe operates. We shouldn’t have to connect to WiFi for days on end and keep fingers crossed to see if a download has occurred. And that is assuming we can connect in the first place.

Tesla - please reconsider the current way of establishing software updates as not everyone has a home with private garage in which to park at night.

But most of these people who "dont have private garages" should have a phone with a hotspot. The car now tells you "connect to wifi to download the software". Your request for a manual software download button isnt needed for your scenario, since the car tells you when its ready to download your update.

So, they have already addressed your stated concern. No need for you to "connect to wifi on days on end" if you dont have wifi where you are. Just wait for the notification, then go connect to wifi or run off your hotspot on your phone.

That doesnt address the likely real reason you want a manual update button though, which is "i want it when I want it, not when you (tesla) want me to have it".

Reactions: MP3Mike
With recent updates your car will now let you know when an update is available, and once that is displayed you know it is time to head to WiFi and download it. No amount of clicking buttons or connecting to WiFi before that notification comes up will get you an update sooner.

Reactions: PoitNarf and ucmndd
False. Can’t just connect for 10 mins and assume it’s updated. Doesn’t work like that.

It does work like that. If you connect to wifi, and there isn't anything downloading, then there just isn't an update available for your specific car. A button to manually start downloading isn't going to change that there isn't an update available.

Furthermore, the progress bar is there for a reason. Even hitting a manual button doesn't change the fact that it still has to download and then install.

It does work like that. If you connect to wifi, and there isn't anything downloading, then there just isn't an update available for your specific car. A button to manually start downloading isn't going to change that there isn't an update available.
I don't have WiFi in my current garage and I use this method with a phone hot spot. It's not really reliable, you can wait for download for more than 30-40 minutes sometimes. Add to this the fact that WiFi doesn't work anymore while driving, and it's not a nice experience.

I guess I can buy a dedicated hotspot device, but meh.

I don't have WiFi in my current garage and I use this method with a phone hot spot. It's not really reliable, you can wait for download for more than 30-40 minutes sometimes. Add to this the fact that WiFi doesn't work anymore while driving, and it's not a nice experience.

I guess I can buy a dedicated hotspot device, but meh.

WIFI works just fine if you manually turn it on after you put the car into drive. I don't have wifi in my garage either and have never needed to wait 30-40 mins for it to start downloading. It's going after a min or so.

Reactions: MP3Mike

This is already implemented. The car tells you when you have an update. Wish granted!

I picked up my M3 on Sept 14 and it has V9.0 (2019.27.102).
The message in my Software screen in the car says "Update Available", "Please connect to Wi-Fi to download the Software Update".
On my phone app, I don't see this message.
I connected my car to Wi-Fi for a few hours and nothing happened. The status bar hasn't moved and is still stuck with a tiny amount of green showing in the status bar.

Questions : How do I keep the car connected to Wi-Fi ? I checked after a few hours and it drops the Wi-Fi signal and goes back to LTE. The Wi-Fi signal is very strong when connected. Am I supposed to see the update available message on both my phone and car ? I also did the steering wheel reboot while pressing brake pedal, and still no movement on the software update status bar.