Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Software Update Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the ONLY logical reason for the way they do updates. Every other software developer has on demand updates when the update is applicable to your equipment.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. This comments takes the cake and really helped me understand why Tesla has their way of doing updates. Literally every other thing in this universe can be updated on demand.

I rather wait an extra 1-2 weeks for updates and let y’all beta test the software. Tesla will push it when it’s my time. There is no rush.

Clearly this discussion is going to go nowhere. Missing a phone alarm is one thing. Having autopilot swerve into a moving semi truck due to a bug is another.

So a slow roll out will prevent this how exactly? Implicit in your view point is that those who receive the early updates are somehow subject to danger?

So a slow roll out will prevent this how exactly? Implicit in your view point is that those who receive the early updates are somehow subject to danger?
Each update goes through quality control as much as possible. Doing a phased rollout is essential to prevent any major issues that crop up in production from either bricking the entire updated fleet of Teslas, causing accidents due to other bugs, etc.

On the other hand, Apple has had bugs released with iOS releases. Specifically one related to daylight savings time that caused failed alarms, etc. But no one got killed in the process.

Tesla - please develop a software update button that we can press when we are connected to WiFi.

Tesla is capturing incredible market-share and as such people in condos/apartments are now buying Teslas. These same people do not always have a WiFi connection at night in their shared parking structures, to be amenable for the current way of establishing a software update.

As such, it would be incredibly useful for us to drive to, a Starbucks for example, get connected to a WiFi hotspot, and manually download the update.

We can then head home and install at a time we please.

This is how every update-able thing in this universe operates. We shouldn’t have to connect to WiFi for days on end and keep fingers crossed to see if a download has occurred. And that is assuming we can connect in the first place.

Tesla - please reconsider the current way of establishing software updates as not everyone has a home with private garage in which to park at night.

when a update for your car is available, it actually notifies you to connect to WiFi to download.

Connecting your car to WiFi makes no difference in getting updates faster. It’s only when they push it to your car. Trust me, I have been in your situation and I have had the car for a year now.

There is no need to worry about keeping your car connected to WiFi. Once update is available, connect it to your cellphones hotspot