TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Manual Transmission / Stick Drivers

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by skydreamerjae, Nov 6, 2019.

1. skydreamerjae

skydreamerjae Goldmember

I currently own a Honda Civic SI 2008 model and have been driving that bad boy for the past 11 years. Anybody else get rid of their stick shift car for a Tesla? I was planning on getting another stick car (VW Arteon), but seeing how two of my coworkers love their Tesla so much, I jumped on the bandwagon. Do you guys miss driving stick? Or is the Tesla that awesome?

2. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

• Informative x 2
  3. Rachmaninov

Rachmaninov Supporting Member

My previous street car was an original Honda S2000. One of the best handling, shifting cars ever made
    ( 9K+ redline- stock! ). I’ve had it for 20 years because I enjoyed the driving experience.

My Stealth is better in almost every driving respect and I’m now selling the S2000.

• Like x 5
  4. Puddles

Puddles Member

I sold my 5-speed Forester to get the Model 3 and although I miss the active involvement, the 3 is just a different experience.

Besides, if I want to go out, make noise, terrorize Priusses, and generally act adolescent, I'll borrow my wife's Mustang GT :D

• Funny x 1
  5. Tres_Azul

Tres_Azul Member

Like Puddles, I too miss the act of shifting, and there are parts of that experience that the model 3 will not replace. However, if you set up your 3 with the stronger regen and turn off 'creep' mode, for 'one pedal driving', it is a pretty great stand-in for an ICE vehicle w/ stick.
    (aka- Not as fun/engaging as a good 6spd manual, but better than a DSG, and lightyears better than a torque converter automatic)

PS-I think the next major software patch (36.1?) is slated to make the one pedal driving experience even better, as the car will come all the away to a stop when you lift off the accelerator. Currently, in 32.12.2 regen goes away around 5mph, and you still have to roll into the brakes to fully stop.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. Jenremoved

Jenremoved Member

I drove manual transmission sports oriented cars for most of my life and my last car was a MT Golf R. I honestly don’t miss it at all. I do what someone above suggested which is keep regen on standard and turn creep off.

I know maybe I’m not the normal MT driver in that I also enjoy some of the modern auto transmissions like a properly tuned ZF8. From my perspective, Teslas are super fun to drive because of how great accelerator and regen response is and I also don’t have to deal with shifting in Bay Area traffic.

• Informative x 1
  7. SK360

SK360 Member

Traded my 7 speed manual Corvette for a P3D. Don’t miss it at all.

• Like x 2
  8. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

I miss shifting and sound terribly. Those two sensations created a connection to a car the Tesla can't match. However, as stated above the TM3 makes up for it in other ways like region braking and being able to hear what the tires are doing during hard cornering. It's a MUCH better commute car, and faster in just about every way ('cept maybe handling)...but if you cherish a perfectly timed and rev-matched shift coming out of a corner, you will miss it. Overall, the TM3 is a better car for me and I don't regret the decision, but I must admit I get nostalgic when I hear a manual car scream away.

• Like x 5
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

I really wanted another manual as I think in the couple years you won't be able to buy any new cars with a stick. Almost went with a BMW M3. I think you will find the instant torque/acceleration of a Tesla, combined with the feel of regen braking (feels like down shifting) to be enough to offset not having a manual. I certainly do not regret my purchase decision. Both of my previous "sporty" cars were manuals (a Trans Am and a BMW 335i).

• Like x 1
  10. Puddles

Puddles Member

This, for the love of God, THIS.

I die a little inside every time we inch through Emeryville in the GT, feathering the clutch for minutes on end.... :(

• Like x 3
  11. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Member

Focus ST, 6 spd. Miss it but would not go back, love the 3 mo better....

• Like x 1
  12. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

I drove a Honda CR-V with a stick for almost 20 years before getting Wattney. 99.99% of the time, I loved the control and power a manual transmission gave. [Exception: My all-time least-fun experience in this car was clutching my way up the uphill part of Lombard Street in San Francisco in heavy stop-and-go traffic to show a visitor the famous downhill part.]

Aside from the fact that driving a stick made me used to popping in the clutch and coasting, which doesn't work with regen in a Tesla, and thus required a bit of re-learning, I love this car. The control and power that I loved are still there, only better. The power is continuous since there is no transmission--no little gap while you change gears. And it is so responsive!

Do it. Do it now.

Did I mention I love this car?

• Like x 2
  13. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in Lake Charles LA)
    • Like x 1
  14. ZOMGVTEK

ZOMGVTEK Member

For me, a single speed EV is about as good as it gets. No concern over bad auto transmission logic, no syncro or clutch wear, its always in the right gear without effort. Being able to leave from a stop effortlessly, and always having the flexibility to just hammer and go is key. I do kinda like a nice smooth shift now and then, but its only nice with no traffic and everything's warmed up. On a daily commute, the Model 3 is vastly superior. I assume you don't get harsh winters over there, but most 'sporty' cars drive like garbage when its double digit negatives, and it can take 30-60 minutes to be smooth.

• Like x 3
  15. Plug it in

Plug it in Member

I sold my Roush Mustang 6 spd. when I got my S P90DL, I don't miss the Mustang at all!

• Like x 1
  16. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

#16 AlanSubie4Life, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    I drove an STi for 14 years. I do not miss the shifting or the (considerable) engine noise at all.

The regen allows me full control over my speed and substitutes very well for engine braking with a manual.

I also feel more engaged when driving the Tesla than when driving an automatic (a common complaint for manual transmission drivers going to automatic transmissions).

No regrets. Always forward. It’s better than a manual transmission in my view.

• Like x 3
  17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

It's hard to describe but you do feel very connected to the road. A buddy who is into bikes says it's a similar feeling.

• Like x 1
  18. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Very true. I’ve come to think of the car as an extension of my brain. I just will something to happen and it does, without hesitation. Words aren’t adequate.

• Like x 2
  19. 640k

640k Member

2008 STi for 12 years. Stage 2 performance. Killer exhaust note. The car was as pristine as it could be with 170k miles on the ODO. The regen of the EV is the closest you'll get to engine braking in an automatic. I've driven varying dual-clutch, CVTs and the like and there's nothing that compares.

Only thing I truly miss is that Subaru AWD. Winters just won't be the same.

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  20. TW14 9LF

TW14 9LF 2nd EV

Joined the BEV club after driving manual cars all my life (1st gen Toyota Celica, 1st gen VW GTI, 1st gen CRX Si, Nissan Maxima, E60 BMW 550). Yes I miss driving a manual. But I love driving the Model 3 way more than what I miss. And, when I want to drive manual, I still have the Maxima, or I can borrow my f-in-laws 63 Corvette.

• Like x 1