Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Transmission / Stick Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all cars have always been electric from the beginning and someone came-out with a combustion car right now, do you think shifting gears (and engine noise) would be rewarding or is that just a conditioned response based on years of nostalgia?

I feel like engine noise and gears are part of a heritage and would never be adopted if it were a new thing coming-out.

Not to mention, try selling people on an ICE when electric has been the standard (smelly exhaust, expensive fuel, many moving parts and maintenance, etc. etc.)

I’m one of those people who, even after owning many (often modified) sports cars, always preferred the sleeper look and never wanted to draw attention to myself or the car with engine or exhaust noise. For me, the quiet speed of the P3D was part of the draw.

I’m one of those people who, even after owning many (often modified) sports cars, always preferred the sleeper look and never wanted to draw attention to myself or the car with engine or exhaust noise. For me, the quiet speed of the P3D was part of the draw.

This. I find myself doing more “spirited” driving in my 3 because I don’t feel like an idiot with a loud exhaust screaming away from a traffic light or all of a sudden making a lot of noise when switching from cruising to passing on the freeway. I’m sure people still may think I’m an idiot when they see the speed but at least I feel better.

Reactions: gavine
My Model 3 is awesome. I love driving it. Electric powertrains are the future. I also keep manual transmission cars around because they are so much fun to drive and more engaging. There's something about the sounds and shifting gears that makes me feel more connected to the car and the road.