Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Transmission / Stick Drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Honda Civic SI 2008 model and have been driving that bad boy for the past 11 years. Anybody else get rid of their stick shift car for a Tesla? I was planning on getting another stick car (VW Arteon), but seeing how two of my coworkers love their Tesla so much, I jumped on the bandwagon. Do you guys miss driving stick? Or is the Tesla that awesome?

Ironically, I went from that exact same year and model Civic Si to my Tesla. I do kind of miss the third pedal sometimes, but the insane thrust of the electric motors in my Tesla quickly make me forget about it!

Reactions: skydreamerjae
Don’t miss shifting at all...especially in this traffic. Of course I drive in the carpool lane 100% now so there’s not much traffic there :D

As previously mentioned, it will be tough (or impossible) to get the kind of connection to a Tesla as you do with a manual ICE car, but at this point in my life (53) I don’t care about melting tires, making noise, and getting the attention of law enforcement. Flying under the radar is my mantra now. I just want to accelerate brutally fast and corner relatively well and there are few stock production cars in this price range out there that can touch the Model 3 Performance in that regard. It’s got to be one of the best sleeper vehicles ever produced.

I currently own a Honda Civic SI 2008 model and have been driving that bad boy for the past 11 years. Anybody else get rid of their stick shift car for a Tesla? I was planning on getting another stick car (VW Arteon), but seeing how two of my coworkers love their Tesla so much, I jumped on the bandwagon. Do you guys miss driving stick? Or is the Tesla that awesome?

It IS a stick shift car. It's just that the rev limit is so high, you never change out of first.

Yes I was a manual driver for my entire life and hated the IDEA of automatic transmission until i drove a tesla. Three major issue made me hate automatic transmissions were 1) always in the wrong gear 2)the long wait for the downshift and 3) no engine braking. Telsa solved all three of these issue and actually required that I adjust my driving style in that I had always had to "plan ahead" for acceleration which i no longer have to do. I would say i have gone to the point where I would never own another ICE car regardless of transmission

I had a 06 si and I do miss it on occasion but would never go back for a daily driver. The Tesla is that amazing, especially the performance model. It’s a completely different experience but it’s not less fun. My brother has a civic type r and I feel the same way driving that. It’s an amazing car and lots of fun, but for daily driving, the Tesla can’t be beat.

• Informative
I’ve owned 27 cars, 20 of which were manual transmission including 3 S2000s, Civic Type R, Civic Si, 3 300ZXs, RX-7, RX-8, MR2, WRX, etc.

I can honestly say I don’t miss it at all with my Model 3. The instant torque and seamless acceleration with no shift point is just so nice. If it was a “regular” car with a traditional automatic I probably would feel different, but as it is I think you’ll love it.

I miss it, but not enough to regret getting a Tesla. It's an acceptable loss.

For the record, my pre-EV car was a 2011 Ford Mustang GT with 6-speed manual transmission (first year of the new Coyote DOHC 5.0, an awesome gas engine that was fun to have as my last gasser before going EV).

Manual transmissions seem to be on serious decline with gas cars too. Sad but true. For example, the new Corvette cannot be purchased with manual transmission anymore. If you can't get a Corvette of all things with a manual, then manual transmissions are just about gone.

Rowing a good manual transmission is about mechanical connection and physical connection. You feel the linkages with your hands and feel the power coupling with your feet. Your body anticipates the (abrupt) acceleration when you go through the gears.

It's not as fast as a seamless, continuous power delivery, but it's a rhythm and it's fun.

But this only applies to a *good* automatic transmission. A mushy stick with a vague clutch pedal is just a chore.

I miss my S2000 tons. And if I had extra garage space with good weather, I'd pick up a new Miata with 6sp box without hesitation.

• Informative
I’ve been driving manuals the past 25yrs. First car was a 4spd stingray. I was hesitant selling my modded 6spd 335 for the P3D+. It’s been over 13months and I haven’t looked back yet. Once in a while I’ll miss the nostalgia of rowing through the gears...but a tap of the accelerator is all it takes to forget it lol.

I don't drive automatic cars -- they drive me insane. Neither does my wife. Tesla behaves EXACTLY like a manual car, combining terrific throttle response, precise torque control, engine braking, sitting still on a flat surface, rolling back on an incline, etc. All the positives and none of the negatives (having to shift gears.) One of the biggest reasons we bought our Model S was because we were not able to buy a nice large family car with a manual transmission. The third row of seats and AP were the icing on the cake. I still enjoy driving my manual transmission BMW 550i once in a while but frankly it feels very clunky in comparison.

I got flamed on here for saying this several years ago, but I suggested that Tesla sell an electronic stick shift kit for their cars. It can have a dummy clutch and a shifter while integrating those into the car's electronics. They can make sound, put a tach on the screen and emulate a manual car in almost every way. That would be so cool and I think people who have MT nostalgia would enjoy it. I know I would.

Maybe this thread has the right people to appreciate this idea.

I still have a 1997 Acura NSX with a 6 speed manual and a Model 3 Performance. I enjoy driving both cars. While the Model 3 Performance is much faster in a straight line, I personally feel on a nice curvy road, the NSX is a more enjoyable car. Learning to shift, heal and toeing and being in the right gear for curves is becoming a lost art. The manual transmission itself has become a modern day theft deterrent. I was at an EV roundtable at a Honda event and some parents were saying their driving age kids didn't know what the actual ignition key was for and they were bring serious..

Again, just my personal observations and again, I still enjoy driving both cars and realize each has it's purpose ....