Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manual Tuning of Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original XM media player app had a station slider like AM/FM, allowing quick tuning to new stations. Several years ago during one of the Tesla UI "improvements", we lost the slider.

The latest UI "improvements" seem to be another step backward in XM usability.

It's almost like Tesla's hand-picked beta testers either didn't listen to XM or Tesla ignored complaints during the beta test.

Or, UI design is still being done for an audience of one - Musk - who directs how the interface will look, ignoring the impact on usability...

I would love to have an option where the << or the >> would step to the next station numerically instead of to the next shortcut.

Seems to me that I complained about this on the Model X forum before I found that there was a numeric keypad where you could type in the channel number you wanted. Is that still there?

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
That's all OK, I'd just like it to retain my radio subscription. I bought my S in DEC 2016, and set up the radio on my subscription (which I had already had for many years) before I left the Delivery Center. I think I might have needed ONE refresh between that time and the most recent Update (I REFUSE to call them "upgrades" since for at least the last 3 years they have been more like downgrades every time...). Since that software change, I have had to refresh the radio at least 3 times per week, usually requiring 15-30 min (instead of the usual 5 min which Sirius has always claimed...). Although there is an option to refresh the signal from the subscription page, that works only sporadically (no identifiable pattern), and more than half of the refreshes have required me to go to either the XM app on my phone to the web page to request.

At this rate, in a few more "update" cycles, NO part of the entertainment system (except, perhaps the streaming component which I rarely use) will work as originally specified, or as advertised.

Tesla needs to recognize that not all of their customers use the entertainment system the same way, and that is OK. They need to provide working, reliable systems with actual options or they will tick people off (like me...).

Reactions: Master Chief
Has anyone figured out how to tune to a channel directly? My family would like to listen to any one of the numerous holiday channels, since they do not show up in the icon grid I can't figure out how to select them! I even tried hitting the next channel button about a hundred times and did not find any of the holiday channels.

This "update" is worthless. As if having to refresh my signal at least once a week due to being stuck on the preview channel wasn't bad enough!

Reactions: AZP85
Before the service center did a deep reset, to “revive” a dying MCU1, I had a trick... the arrows above the scroll wheel jump from one favorited station to the next (back and forth). I favorited every SXM station ... and ... I could then scroll through the SXM channels like the old days ... I haven’t redone it since the reset.

They seem to have fixed the forward and back arrows to skip to the next channel. Of course, no channels list numbers. I think if you get the current guide from Sirius web site, and tune to a "known" channel near the one you want, you can sequence up or down from that channel "number" until you arrive at your desired channel. Perhaps you can then store it as a favorite. I haven't tried any of this except it does step forward using the arrows on whatever channel you are listening to.

SiriusXM Guide:
https://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?intcmp=CG_NA_www:channels_DownloadthefullChannelGuide&blobcol=urlimage&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=ImageAsset&blobwhere=1283879646982&ssbinary=true

It’s like some Melenial software engineer bought stock in Spotify, and decided to stick it to her parents Model X owners who love listening to Polka pop up stations on SiriusXM.
My wife LOVES Christmas music. Pissed me off not being able to have it.
I’m getting pissed be concerned about long term stability of the car. When the refresh models get old will the software for 2017 models still work?
Makes me think fondly of Fossil cars with radio buttons that stay radio buttions year after year.
Perhaps when I get my neural implant to tune Sirus XM with my mind I’ll feel better about this.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I cannot figure out how to get it off the preview channel. Am i supposed to be able to click the icon of a channel in one of the menu's, say ESPN for sports? I click the channel icon and the channel doesnt change

They seem to have fixed the forward and back arrows to skip to the next channel. Of course, no channels list numbers. I think if you get the current guide from Sirius web site, and tune to a "known" channel near the one you want, you can sequence up or down from that channel "number" until you arrive at your desired channel. Perhaps you can then store it as a favorite. I haven't tried any of this except it does step forward using the arrows on whatever channel you are listening to.

SiriusXM Guide:
https://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?intcmp=CG_NA_www:channels_DownloadthefullChannelGuide&blobcol=urlimage&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=application/pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=ImageAsset&blobwhere=1283879646982&ssbinary=true
yea, we need to be able to have a channel view so we can see them.......and have ability to dial in a station number

I cannot figure out how to get it off the preview channel. Am i supposed to be able to click the icon of a channel in one of the menu's, say ESPN for sports? I click the channel icon and the channel doesnt change
Under Categories, scroll to Subscription and see if your trial has started. It should indicate the end date if it has. I assume this is a new car. Also, it sometimes takes a day or two for Tesla to notify SiriusXM when you buy the car, but you can go online to SiriusXM and activate it with your RadioID, found on the subscription page, or your VIN.

Reactions: Moose57
Under Categories, scroll to Subscription and see if your trial has started. It should indicate the end date if it has. I assume this is a new car. Also, it sometimes takes a day or two for Tesla to notify SiriusXM when you buy the car, but you can go online to SiriusXM and activate it with your RadioID, found on the subscription page, or your VIN.
Thanks, Dave. My car was parked in the shadow of my building. As soon as I moved it, the radio got the update and it is working now without issue. I appreciate your reply!

Reactions: DerbyDave