TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Manually push open a partially opened falcon wing door

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BlueMX75D, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BlueMX75D

BlueMX75D Member

I just watch a video where a Model X crashed in NY and noticed that the Tesla guy manually pushed open the passenger side falcon wing door that was already about 80% opened. Is that something that can be done normally or would that mess up the mechanics of the door? Here is the link to the video cued up to when the door is pushed open.

Video link

2. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I wouldn’t have thought so. Correct use would be to press and hold the open button to override the sensor.

How fast was he going looked like he was going way too fast!

3. Need

Need Active Member

Never really tried it on the FWD, but do it all the time with the trunk lid. Inside parking garages, it will only open to the setting I set it to for my garage which is very low. So I had to push it open more. The only problem with that is that I would then bend over to reach into the trunk and sometime will press the keyfob in my front pocket and close the trunk lid on me... :(

4. animorph

animorph Member

The FWD resists moving too much for me to keep pushing on it. The trunk lid I push up all the time. My early understanding was that you can manually move the FWD's, I just haven't been motivated enough to really force it.

5. Nilnoc

Nilnoc Member

I have manually pushed up my FWD’s several times. They resist, but not too much. Am I hurting them?

6. KevinY

KevinY Member

I push my doors open almost daily. I wouldn't call it an easy task, there is quite a bit of resistance.
    I wish we could disable the loud warning beep when we manually open the door.