TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Manually turning car with autopilot on

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Sather, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Sather

Sather Member

I discovered today I can make my car turn with lane keeping on if I steadily apply pressure left or right just hard enough that I don't force lane keeping off. Can make the car go clear into the other lane. Lane keeping continues BAU after I stop applying pressure.

Anybody else experienced this?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Yes, others have also observed this. But don't you find it easy to disable AP accidentally when trying this trick?

• Like x 1
  3. Sather

Sather Member

OK, good to know. Thanks.

No, no concerns on accidentally shutting off. Pretty easy to feel the break point.

4. kort677

kort677 Banned

I've never experienced turning the car with the AP on, you can nudge the car over a bit but a full turn would disengage the AP.

5. Max*

Max* Banned

I agree.

You can nudge it into the next lane, but I've never been able to make a 90 degree* turn with AP engaged by nudging it.

*AP has followed a car into a 90 degree left turn, but it's hit or miss. But that's not me nudging it.

6. coqui33

coqui33 Member

Out of curiosity (my S90D is still in production), why not use the autopilot turn-signal to lane change?