Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manually Update Firmware in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Im from Sri Lanka and I own a 2015 Tesla Model S 70D. My current software version is v7.1 (2.10.56) and Tesla wont allow any over the air updates as the current version is too old to connect to their servers. Only option is to ship my car to a Tesla service center as we dont have any SCs in my country and the nearest one is 4000km away in Hongkong. Is there a way around so I can get updates to my car?
Thanks!

I wasn't aware of this kind of limitation, but sort of makes sense. I doubt it's an issue of Tesla allowing the update and more an issue that the OTA process has changed quite a bit over the last 8 years and the protocols no longer understand such an old version. Many of the changes were to insure OTA security is not compromised. Tesla assumes everyone is updating, although I know some owners avoid updates.

Why is the version so old? Version 7 came out in 2015.

I wasn't aware of this kind of limitation, but sort of makes sense. I doubt it's an issue of Tesla allowing the update and more an issue that the OTA process has changed quite a bit over the last 8 years and the protocols no longer understand such an old version.
it’s exactly that. At some point a few years ago Tesla migrated their car to mothership connectivity from VPN to web sockets. The VPN infrastructure hung around for a while but I assume it’s long gone now.