Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manufacturing Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty clear on how many cars Tesla is delivering each month, but does anyone have a clear view on how many S models Tesla has the ability to produce monthly? Are they running the plant 24/7? I was just reading an article about expansion plans in Europe and Asia and I was just curious how they would meet the demand. All I know about the manufacturing process is what I've seen on Discovery channel. What's involved in turning up the volume? Where are the choke points? Are the stamping machines and robots a major capital expense, or can you "easily" bring new ones online to meet production. I understand the cars will be partially assembled in Europe, which I'm sure helps. Anyway, excuse my ignorance. If anyone would care to comment, that would be great.

Al

It looks like they run the final assembly and something else in 2 shifts, and the rest in 1 shift. So they produce 1 shift worth of cars, despite running some stations in 2 shifts, because those slow stations need 2 shifts to work through the 1 shift volume. Their goal is to speed up those slow stations, so that the whole plant can make 1 shift worth of cars in just one shift. After that they can double the volume by going 2 shifts.