Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manufacturing Issues on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are we saying that everybody who got car in the last year got the issue with stalk cover falling off and nobody brought it up, so it was never fixed by Tesla? Or this is a limited issue for a hanful of cars?

None have fallen off. It seems like the double-sided adhesive is too thick for the manufactured tolerance between the stalk and cover.

I brought it up to the Mobile Service guy and he just sort of shrugged. Perhaps it isn't widely known.

Curiously - this issue is only with the drive stalk and not the signal stalk.

Steve to answer your question, about how good it stays back when I press the gear stalk sticker, yes it does stick but after some time it come back to the position I showed in the picture.

View attachment 282051
Isn't another issue that we're missing the piece of adhesive strip on the front of the stalk in addition to the strip oh the top? I see adhesive residue on the top, but not on the front. And there's this H shaped outline that likely shows where the adhesive strip needs to go, both top and front?

None have fallen off. It seems like the double-sided adhesive is too thick for the manufactured tolerance between the stalk and cover.
See quoted above, per myM3 the cover is "breathing" or sort of falling off... Which also makes me think that if adhesive is missing on the front, it would contribute to that behavior.

Last edited:
mine lifts up just a tad toward the back. The OP's photo seemed to show the lift to be more in the center. I'm tempted to tear the cover off, clean off all adhesive, and redo it. But mine isn't that bad, so I fear that my DIY effort will make it worse.

@myM3 Can you please confirm if there was a piece of adhesive on the front of the stalk when you took the cover off?

Adhesive pad is not sticky enough. It isn't too thick, just comes unstuck...

stalk1.png

Mostly just looks weird. The difference between stuck and un-stuck is minor. It just tempts you to keep pressing it back down again to make it seem more flush.
It is basically a cosmetic issue.

Last edited: