Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Manure Carrying Capacity of Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My $0.02: I wouldn't even consider hauling that stuff a few times a year as a factor for this purchase. Worst case, you can just rent a small truck/van for the job, and keep your Tesla clean. :cool:

The amount of manure I can haul probably isn't a deal breaker, but this might be: the rear seats don't fold down.

Is this true? The rear seats in my X5 and RX got/get folded down _all_ the time. It's part of the "U" in SUV.

The amount of manure I can haul probably isn't a deal breaker, but this might be: the rear seats don't fold down.

Is this true? The rear seats in my X5 and RX got/get folded down _all_ the time. It's part of the "U" in SUV.
The rear seats do fold down. The second row does not. It was a deal breaker for a lot of people, not just manure haulers. Dog haulers, for instance. That said, there's more room back there than one might think based on the TMC threads.

The rear seats do fold down. The second row does not. It was a deal breaker for a lot of people, not just manure haulers. Dog haulers, for instance. That said, there's more room back there than one might think based on the TMC threads.

Whoops! My typo. Yes, I meant the "second row doesn't fold down," as you've pointed out.

Yeah, but not all cu ft are created equal. Twice as high is not the same as twice as long.

I once rode in car with a woman who had a gigantic Newfoundland. When he laid down in the back of her station wagon (with all the seats folded flat :D) his butt was against the tail gate and he could still lick the back of my head. Repeatedly.

AFAICT the 2nd row also isn't removable. From what all you owners can see, is this something that might be changed in a future model revision?

AFAICT the 2nd row also isn't removable. From what all you owners can see, is this something that might be changed in a future model revision?
They are not removable, but in my dream scenario they would be. I'd prefer that to folding, because I do very much like the comfort of the seats as designed. I think theres a possibility, but I wouldn't say it's probable. The seats are connected via the single pedestal. Tesla would need to make some kind of quick disconnect which would include the electronic and power connections for the seat controls, and it would need to be able to withstand the tremendous forces in an accident, since the seat belt is also mounted to the seat. That seems like a challenge.

...I once rode in car with a woman who had a gigantic Newfoundland. When he laid down in the back of her station wagon (with all the seats folded flat :D) his butt was against the tail gate and he could still lick the back of my head. Repeatedly....

Okay: we finally have found the perfect reason Tesla designed the 2nd row seats as they did: The Model X not only has Biodefense Mode but also NewfieTongue Defense Mode.

This 2 ft x 5 ft platform holds 500 lbs, stores flat against our garage wall. Easy install and keeps all dirt (manure) out of the car.Got it on Amazon. We are very happy with it.
IMG_5709 Hitch.JPG

This 2 ft x 5 ft platform holds 500 lbs, stores flat against our garage wall. Easy install and keeps all dirt (manure) out of the car.Got it on Amazon. We are very happy with it.View attachment 192091

It would be very difficult to get into my garden/paddock with a trailer of any size, much less one that will carry 54 cu ft. I have to drive up a small slope on my right and make a hard left turn just to get in through the gate. And then I have to get back out. There another part of my garden that requires reversing to get into, and I shudder at the thought of reversing with a trailer attached.

But the biggest drawback of a trailer is that I have to think about using it in advance of using it. If I have an SUV like my X5 or my RX, I can go to the garden store any time I want to, even on my way home from work, and pick up what I need, whenever I need. If I want to pick up stinky manure I might throw a tarp in the back, but I've done it without a tarp, and then I just vacuum it out a day or two later. The smell only lingers a few days.:eek:

So has anyone tried The Great Manure Experiment with the Model X yet? With the new flat-fold 2nd row, the cargo capacity is allegedly 88 cu ft now:

Tesla updates Model X 5-seater with fold-flat second row seating

which is larger than the rated capacity of my RX.