Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many owners with UMC problems in Norway , specially during cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what breaks them. They just start flashing red or go completely black. Also the charge port opener button seems quite crappy and breaks quickly for some reason.
I`ve had an electrician check my wiring, voltage etc. but everything seems fine at both charging locations I use.

To restart charging from the app is not possible, nor can I move the charging limit to restart charging. And of course, preheating draws only power from the battery unless I make sure the car is still charging when I start preheat. According to a few polls I`ve seen these problems are quite common in Norway, and most Model S buyers have them! Tesla blames the norwegian grid and/or user faults even though no other EV sold in Norway have these problems. Unbelieveable. Not very fun inserting the charge cable and get "charge cable error" with one mile range left, but 10-15 attempts made charging start.

- - - Updated - - -

People report problems both with and without the newest update (I haven`t installed it yet), so it doesn`t seem to fix anything.

Tesla blaims the norwegian grid-which is probably correct, but that doesn't change the fact that they have sold a product which doesn't work in the country they are selling it. I cannot have the car plugged in as it always gives 12V problems when it is fully charged. (Never any problems during the actual charging). This is a very annoying error which needs to be sorted either through a software update, or if not possible Tesla have to supply the norwegians with 3rd party charge cables which actually work (all others seem to work fine). This problem introduces the charge anxiety which is much, much worse than the range anxiety.:scared:

TESLA CHARGING PROBLEMS ( which has been known for months) IS ALL OVER NORWEGIAN NATIONAL MEDIA TODAY :

LOL

The problem was until recently unknown to management.

- This came up for a half day ago. We recognize that some customers have a problem, but nothing suggests that there is a huge problem, says Pedersen.

Communications chief stressed that the problem is not related to the car itself, but whether the charger cable to the electricity grid or outside the car.

Tesla has switched supplier of cables and new will be heading out to customers, says communications manager according to DN.

full article here:

Google Translate

same issue , another newspaper here

Google Translate

Last edited:
Reading through the article it seems to be limited to a few cars that have the issue an Tesla is on top of it working with engineers on-site. What more could you ask? While I don't know about UMC I'm charging below 0 constantly at home using my wallbox and all is fine here in Estonia ;)

tesla states that this is limited to a few owners... And that the problem was just know to them 1,5 days ago and yet they have already switched manufacturer and have new cables out... Wow...

this has been know for months , some owners have had 3-4 UMCs delivered to them , all have failed.. And it is not just a few...

This is out now because a large number of owners got enough a couple of days ago and sent letters to leading tesla managers where they threatened to go public.. And now it's public... It's in 2 national newspapers on the frontside and a huge PR loss for tesla , they should have taken this more serious earlier .. Norway is teslas front window regarding cold weather reliability ....

..... And if you buy third party solutions you cannot open the charge port from the charge cable. This is the main reason why I haven`t bought anyting else already, but I`m leaning towards it now istead of the double UMC solution I have now (always one backup charger...)
You can order this remote control from Tesla to open your chargeport. It works with all Model S.
image.jpg

i don't have any problems with my UMC but I use it with an mobile Charger (22kW Typ2 from crOhm Premium ev)

Need to merge with the other 2 threads he started as well in the main model s section, and user interface section. Exactly same thread. Seems very strange.

Sir you are off topic! Please stay to topic.
Yes, posts disappear on my PC , that's why unfortunate double post....

Now back to the issue, tesla has issued a statement on the faulty UMCs...

Because he sells high end cars in Norway, except for the model S.

Please sir.. Keep calm... This post was not intended here , then the posts disappeared and I reposted...

And what is your excuse for keeping these issues of the radar?

This is is serious things, if I can't charge the car or when leaving the car at the airport the charging doesn't work and the car totally is blank on battery power and the windows open with winters storms .... Very good... Indeed...

find the problem, fix it .. I don't want to drive an beta version car ...