Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many questions on home wall charger. Help appreciated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, now that Tesla no longer includes a 14-50 adapter, "install a 14-50" is, IMHO, no longer the correct answer for "what outlet should I have?" Rather, the right choice for almost everyone is: "install a 6-50"

Agreed, but then you'll probably still end up buying a 14-50 adapter for your UMC as that is probably the most common 240v outlet available out in the world that you someday MIGHT charge from (at a campground for example). You may never use it, granted.

Agreed, but then you'll probably still end up buying a 14-50 adapter for your UMC as that is probably the most common 240v outlet available out in the world that you someday MIGHT charge from (at a campground for example). You may never use it, granted.
I just checked the orange big box hardware store - 25 ft of 6/2 NM-B is $38, 25 ft of 6/3 is $85, a savings of $47, more than the cost of an extra adapter. The longer the run, the more the savings.

I bought every adapter available for my first-gen UMC, but In 4 years of EV driving, I've never used a 14-50 "in the wild." En-route charging has always been Superchargers or Chademos. Destination charging at family member's homes was dryer outlets (10-30's), since the dryer outlets have been easier to access then the range outlets. But I don't use any of those outlets anymore (my parents bought an S and installed a wall connector; public J1772's have been installed near the other homes).

Personally, if I wanted a backup plan, I'd buy the 14-30, and hacksaw off the unused L-shaped neutral pin. That will work in any 14-xx outlet, limiting you to 24A.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just told the wife to swap places :). It'd be stupid to spend doing that. Plus the shorter the wires, the better. The cable will go right behind the rear tires, and into the port, completely out of the way. She'd have to walk 10' more to get to the house.