Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Many Superchargers now Time of Use in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iPlug

Sep 14, 2019
Rocklin, CA
Charging rate structures continue to evolve in CA. Many supercharging stations here are now Time of Use (TOU). Different spread of times and rates, mostly in metropolitan areas. Great way to help balance load on the grid and bottom line for Tesla with demand fees.

It's not simply the "save 50% on your charging fees before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m." that many likely received in their Tesla app inbox. For example, some locations have different hours such as in Oxnard where peak pricing is 4-9pm when cost is double other hours.

Also noted some other interesting changes. Next door here in Roseville, the 20 stall station across from the Galleria - charging fees are $0.22/kWh fixed but at the 7 stall station across the street on the Galleria lot itself it is $0.35/kwh.

Last edited:
Also noted some other interesting changes. Next door here in Roseville, the 20 stall station across from the Galleria - charging fees are $0.22/kWh fixed but at the 7 stall station across the street on the Galleria lot itself it is $0.35/kwh.
I wonder if the venue gets a "cut" of the supercharging fees. That could partially explain the few cents per kWh difference I am seeing in supercharging rates in an area. Also the 150 vs 250 superchargers, the faster going at a premium. Of course, the two superchargers you mentioned are both 150kW chargers, so I'm thinking it's the Gallleria up-charge. 😆.

Last edited: