Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map auto zoom not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it does but it depends what you do. When navigating, if I expand the list of steps, it stops following the location closely. I need to press the button at the top right to resume that operation.
It's not explained very clearly but pay attention what you've done with the map and "reset" it using that button to see if it changes.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I've never seen it auto-zoom based on speed, although @jdcollins5 that is a useful feature that some mapping apps, like Waze, do--they auto-zoom in as you approach an intersection (slowing down) so you can get a better view of the surrounding detail.

I do struggle with the zoom level of the map though. I prefer a relatively zoomed in view most of the time. But when you pinch the screen to zoom in, the map goes static and you have to hit the top right button to get it to follow the car again and the zoom level is lost. Then I try using the + and - buttons to adjust the zoom level, but the zoom is only temporary. Even after 3 years I have not figured out how to make the zoom level "stick"! I just keep adjusting it over and over again until eventually it does seem to stick!

Reactions: jdcollins5
I'm under the impression that the plus and minus buttons do make the zoom permanent whereas pinching is temporary. I think that when pinching, if you leave the car centered in view, the car will continue to track and move the map. I'll try to pay attention next time I travel...

My 2013 Model S used to automatically adjust map zoom. I recall it being too aggressive for my taste though, zooming in and out too often.

That disappeared from my Model S years ago, probably before the Model 3 was released FWIW. At first I wished Tesla had improved it instead of removing it, now I've long forgotten it until this thread.

There are times when I want to zoom out while on the highway looking for upcoming changes. I can use the minus (-) button but it is only temporary and after a minute or so it reverts back to its last setting. Maybe there is a little difficulty in having manual settings during auto zoom, but like others have said, it cannot be that hard to program around.

Other than this little annoyance, I like everything else about the auto zoom feature.

I have just noticed last night that it does auto zoom in after I got off the freeway, so maybe that's what I am remembering. Still feel like something changed in one of the recent updates to make me notice the behavior in the Nav...
No, it's always been like this. It changes between the highways and street zoom level that you set it at. The other way where it "zooms" in is when you have navigation on and have the full trip view up, as you get closer to the destination, it zooms in.