Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map behavior seems pretty stupid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
One of the recent updates changed the maps behavior such that when it's doing navigation, that is, there is a route set up, you can't zoom in on a section and have it stick. What I want to do is look at the traffic along the route near the end to see if I agree with the routing, so (duh) I zoom in on it. What happens is that it zooms in and starts updating the map tile, traffic, etc. As soon as all that finishes, it.... zooms back out, thereby obviating the whole exercise.

I believe the old system would behave this way only if you were in the mode where you were showing the whole route, the sideways S icon at the top. However, in N up mode, it would let you zoom and only restore to show the whole route from your current location to the end if you selected route mode. Now all the mode behave the same way, they always insist on showing the whole route from your current position.

The current behavior, like a lot of the car's UI, is decidedly user snide.

Reactions: Minecon_CA
Major oversight on the use case. Prior to downloading Navigator I could scale and hold the map orientation to monitor changing traffic conditions. A major benefit when multiple routes are available and are constantly changing, especially when your're 20-30 miles away from a decision point
The ability to navigate to final destination (to monitor arrival time and battery usage) and "lock" the scale and orientation was an extremely valuable feature. In a future upgrade I hope Tesla will consider an option to "lock" the scaling/orientation while navigating. They have degraded a real-time awareness feature and increased driver distraction by having to monitor traffic conditions without the navigation route specified.