Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map frozen at Tesla garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Had driver seat replaced last week due to faulty electrics, basically it stopped moving forward. Had that fixed, picked up the car and no matter where I drive the map still says I'm at the garage. They looked into it and couldnt find anything and asked me to take the car home and see if it would rectify overnight.

No joy. I've rebooted, turned the power off, updated the software, asked Tesla to push the update again to me, changed the size of the tyres to see if that reboot would help and nothing.

I can't see how it would break when it was at the garage?!

Seems to be a fairly common problem though? I'm booked in to take it back to the garage again on Monday. Very frustrating.

It's a Model 3 LR 2020.

Any ideas anyone?

I don't fancy disconnecting any wires mind you!

Cheers

That sounds like something with the GPS antenna to me, but I would let tesla sort it out.
Yup.

Most likely just a connector that the service center disconnected, located between the GPS receiver and the GPS antenna. Either that, or between the GPS receiver and the CAN Bus, but I'd think the car would throw a dialog box about a failure like that.

GPS unit just isn't receiving position updates anymore, so it thinks you're stuck at the garage.

Yup.

Most likely just a connector that the service center disconnected, located between the GPS receiver and the GPS antenna. Either that, or between the GPS receiver and the CAN Bus, but I'd think the car would throw a dialog box about a failure like that.

GPS unit just isn't receiving position updates anymore, so it thinks you're stuck at the garage.

At least OP knows and can prove where it stopped working, lol. "It obviously stopped working when it was here last, see the map screen?"

Hehe

Reactions: Phlier
Hi,

Had driver seat replaced last week due to faulty electrics, basically it stopped moving forward. Had that fixed, picked up the car and no matter where I drive the map still says I'm at the garage. They looked into it and couldnt find anything and asked me to take the car home and see if it would rectify overnight.

No joy. I've rebooted, turned the power off, updated the software, asked Tesla to push the update again to me, changed the size of the tyres to see if that reboot would help and nothing.

I can't see how it would break when it was at the garage?!

Seems to be a fairly common problem though? I'm booked in to take it back to the garage again on Monday. Very frustrating.

It's a Model 3 LR 2020.

Any ideas anyone?

I don't fancy disconnecting any wires mind you!

Cheers

FIXED IT

I was missing the last step of the trick to reset the computer

1.) change tyres to another size / type
2.) wait for it to reset
3.) change them back to your original type
4.) wait for it to reset
5.) (and this is the bit i didn't do) - take it for a drive, it'll say TPMS pressure sensor updated. Ten mins into drive the map sprung back into life!

p.s I got this answer from 2019.32.12.2 Navigation / Screen Issues

Phew!

Reactions: Phlier