Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map/Nav Routing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started using Waze on my iPhone and just resting my phone against the touchscreen. Sigh.

Since Android apps are so easy to install, update, etc and there are many that are better than the Tesla functions, I thought that the better solution would be for Tesla to offer the capability to display an Android (or Apple) device on the nice Tesla display.

When I purchased my last car 7 years ago - it had real-time traffic - and more navigation features than the Model S. I would get warnings about potential traffic problems on my route along with an offer to re-route around the problem. Plus, you would get three routing options to select (shortest time, shortest distance) and the ability to customize the routing preferences (no toll roads, avoid freeways, ...).

Since the MS has access to up-to-date Google maps and considerably more user interface and processing capacity - the navigation system should be much better, and now that the higher priority sleep and vampire drain issues appear to be fixed, hopefully Tesla will be releasing major functionality improvements in the navigation software.

One major change should be elimination of the separate map database for the navigation software. In the past year new roads have opened in my area - the Google maps show the roads and the navigation software doesn't show them yet. With internet connectivity, it would be considerably better for Tesla to use the latest available maps for navigation - and not continue to lock us into separate navigation maps - which are updated infrequently (don't believe I've had an update yet) and are already out-of-date when they are installed.

Looking forward to the next major software release...

The Navigon system in the Tesla is state of the art for 1998. The biggest frustration is that they have also integrated google mapping and at least some elements of nav but not for the actual navigation. Realtime data isn't used so accurate ETA and alternate routes aren't possible. Maybe some day Tesla will join the 21st century. Google's purchase of Waze further dangles unattainable carrots in front of us. Maybe some day we will have indicators of traffic situations on the nav screen (broken down vehicles, police actions, road closures and so on). As a bonus, simple one/two tap waze reporting would be wonderful. I shall not hold my breath, though.

Last edited:
The Navigon system in the Tesla is state of the art for 1998.
I haven't found anything particularly lacking in general with Navigon, but Tesla's implementation of Navigon is a bit disappointing. I had used Navigon quite a bit on my iPhone, mostly prior to navigation being enabled in Google Maps. Indeed, the lane selection display is of particularly high value to me, which isn't available at all with Google Maps. It allows offline maps, live traffic information with intelligent re-routing, and the current speed limit display is also very nice. Unfortunately, Tesla didn't enable some of these features. The one major weak point in general for Navigon is searching by points of interest, which is completely eliminated in Tesla's implementation as Google Maps is used for those.

Unfortunately, my ideal solution still isn't really available: the look and constantly updated maps of Google Maps, lane assistance and speed limit information of Navigon, and the traffic and crowd-sourced information of Waze. License/borrow/steal those ideas into a single product and you'd have something truly special, IMO.

Since Google doesn't currently allow downloading of Maps for offline use, at least one of those isn't really possible at this time.

I thought that the better solution would be for Tesla to offer the capability to display an Android (or Apple) device on the nice Tesla display.
Which is exactly the route Honda is taking with "iOS in the car" and HondaLink:
Honda integrates iPhone w/ 2014 Civic touchscreen in first steps towards iOS in the Car | 9to5Mac
the next-generation of its HondaLink app platform that mirrors apps from your smartphone to the display and in-car audio system.

Don't believe I've seen a Navigon update since I received my car last year. There are a number of new roads that have been completed in my area over the past year - Google maps picked up those roads immediately after they opened - and the navigation maps still show no roads in those areas - so the routing doesn't work when I want to use those roads.

Though if the Navigon software is like what I had with my Toyota & Lexus cars - even when we get the update - those maps could still be at least a year out of date.

Strong vote for using the Google maps for navigation - and abandoning the "map update" model which was needed for cars lacking internet connectivity!

Don't believe I've seen a Navigon update since I received my car last year. There are a number of new roads that have been completed in my area over the past year - Google maps picked up those roads immediately after they opened - and the navigation maps still show no roads in those areas - so the routing doesn't work when I want to use those roads.

Though if the Navigon software is like what I had with my Toyota & Lexus cars - even when we get the update - those maps could still be at least a year out of date.

Navigon uses NAVTEQ maps (recently renamed HERE). If it's right on their site, it should be right in Navigon if it's updated to current. If it's not, you can fix it.

Strong vote for using the Google maps for navigation - and abandoning the "map update" model which was needed for cars lacking internet connectivity!

Strong vote against. I drive into areas without AT&T internet connectivity at least 2-3 times per week. I'd be in deep trouble if they abandoned offline maps. Indeed, the times you most need the in-car navigation is when you don't have cellular service. Fortunately Tesla understands this. If they wanted an online Google Maps-only solution, they could have done so right from the start without all the aggravation of trying to integrate two different mapping solutions.

I don't understand that at all, Gizmotoy. My Model S displays a blank screen - just a series of grid squares - unless I am in an area of AT&T connectivity....which means that most of the time I do NOT have a working map. Am I due for a talk with a Service Center?

I don't understand that at all, Gizmotoy. My Model S displays a blank screen - just a series of grid squares - unless I am in an area of AT&T connectivity....which means that most of the time I do NOT have a working map. Am I due for a talk with a Service Center?
The Google Maps screen (main display) or the navigation display (instrument cluster)? The navigation display in the instrument cluster is the one that has the offline map set. If the main display is blank, the navigation display will continue to work if you lose connectivity. You can even enter new destinations (provided you know the address or it's in your recent places: the POI database is live from Google over the network), and recalculate routes if you miss a turn, without any connectivity at all.

Agree that for owners with the Tech package, there should always be offline maps. But instead of having annual updates (which don't appear to be happening yet), for cars connected to WiFi overnight, the offline maps should be updated and be kept up-to-date.

If NAVTEQ can provide maps that almost as up-to-date as the Google maps (which appear to update very quickly when new roads are created), and the NAVTEQ maps are downloaded into the car frequently (weekly or monthly?) - then there will be few discrepancies between the navigation and touchscreen maps.

But the old model of annual updates really doesn't work - and doesn't make sense for cars with high speed internet access...