Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map not adjusting to scale local area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently my maps has not been dynamically updating to show a closer portion of map to where I am driving. As such, it is too zoomed out so that my car is driving in parts of the map without road. Prior it would zoom to those locations to show my car on the road based on how much stuff (other roads and items around current location) was happening around the road. This lack of scaling causes me to have to zoom in a lot when doing a route and it zooms out too quickly, not keeping my adjustments at all.

It also renders the map pretty pointless at a glance, if i cannot see the road I am on, because it is too zoomed out, i cannot see roads upcoming, etc.

Was there a recent map update or some setting that I have inadvertently changed?

It might have been doing this before I had a mobile appointment last week, but I noticed it afterwards. But likely that is coincidental.

But what about not using a route? I dont use a route to drive to work daily, but the map most of the time is not zoomed enough to even show the road I am driving on. There is not point to the map if it is not going to scale at all.

The car should automatically recalibrate after 50 miles of driving. If after 50 miles your nav is still not accurately displaying your correct location you may need a new gps antenna. Call SC

I don't think he's saying the location is off but rather the zoom level.

This is something I've noticed myself recently. I don't know if it was changed at some point or it's always been like this, but I find the route to be zoomed too far out (I'm not talking about the trip overview). I find myself having to zoom it in to whatever level I'm comfortable with, and then two things happen:

1. it loses the orientation (i.e. straight ahead is no longer up) and

2. after some time it zooms back out to a level that looks cool but is quite useless for in-town orientation.

2. after some time it zooms back out to a level that looks cool but is quite useless for in-town orientation.
I think zooming got worse when they added the multi-leg mode to the nav in version 8 or 8.1. Prior to that, the north-up mode would always be at a good zoom level. Now north-up is zoomed too far out to be useful much of the time. I've had my entire route be a 1 centimeter blue blob in the middle of the map, which it never used to do before that change.

I think zooming got worse when they added the multi-leg mode to the nav in version 8 or 8.1. Prior to that, the north-up mode would always be at a good zoom level. Now north-up is zoomed too far out to be useful much of the time. I've had my entire route be a 1 centimeter blue blob in the middle of the map, which it never used to do before that change.

Never thought I would miss that clunky zoom wheel in the Audi, despite fighting ze Germans for 8 years to admit that turning right to zoom out is idiotic. :)