Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map shows traffic when there isn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Often times I'll see thin red lines on my neighborhood streets ... but there isn't really any traffic.

Is it picking up the parked cars?
I have pretty much ignored the traffic lines because I have had dead stop traffic for miles with not orange or red indicator and I have been cruising at 45Mph or so on a local road where it showed lots of long red lines.
I now just assume that traffic is an estimate based on what it should be at that time, based on history.

tesla nav is powered by google maps api, right? i think it's safe to assume the maps api calls the traffic feed google uses by farming data from other drivers that use google navigation. if the traffic data hasn't been updated in a while, the information will be stale.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-Go...there-any-research-paper-that-I-can-reference

most neighborhoods don't have traffic sensors/cameras off of the main roads and unless you're living in an urban sprawl, the taxi and ride share data is probably minimal as well. the data is only as real time as it is fed, which i've seen a 15 minute disparity.