Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map stuck on satellite mode even at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since V11, my Model 3’s map does not switch to night mode at night. It’s always in satellite mode. It’s now on 2022.44.30. Did not fix the issue. I did a hard reset. Didn’t help. I looked around the menu and settings in the map and couldn’t find a way to change it. Did I miss something?

I was able to switch the map back to night mode / normal map mode by tapping the globe icon but now I need to do it every time I get in the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: St☰v☰
I honestly thought it was a "feature" and not a "bug" that the satellite view started to be shown even at night. I think this is great, as I prefer always seeing the satellite map even when night mode is active. Just because it's night outside doesn't mean that I want to downgrade my map view.

I guess Tesla could satisfy both of us by adding a "Retain satellite view in night mode" toggle, or something like that.

Reactions: ml0204 and rpiotro
I honestly thought it was a "feature" and not a "bug" that the satellite view started to be shown even at night. I think this is great, as I prefer always seeing the satellite map even when night mode is active. Just because it's night outside doesn't mean that I want to downgrade my map view.

I guess Tesla could satisfy both of us by adding a "Retain satellite view in night mode" toggle, or something like that.
At first I thought this was a new feature but there’s no such toggle anywhere in settings. My Y is also running 2021.44.30 but it does not have this problem.

I find it odd that there is no set schedule of when it's satellite or not. Some nights it is, and yesterday going home (during the day), the car was displaying non satellite mode. I find it to be hit or miss, no rhyme or reason.

I got 2021.44.30.6 last night anxious to see what bug were quashed. Number one is that annoying cold weather tips pop up just for starters.
Yes that too but interestingly in my Y, that message only popped up once. Once I tapped the message, it never showed again. In my 3, it shows up every time I get in the car.

Another thing is that the charging screen does not go away after I unplug in the morning. Again the Model Y does not have that problem. My 3 is a relatively early build. Not sure if that’s the reason.

I think you are confusing two things. The car can automatically change the screen from white to black "theme" depending on the time of day, yes. There is an option for that.
Separately, the navigation portion (aka the map) can show either a vector-type simplified street map or it can show a full aerial photography view if you have premium connectivity. There's an option to choose which view you want. This as far as I know does NOT change depending on time of day, you must choose what you want.

I think you are confusing two things. The car can automatically change the screen from white to black "theme" depending on the time of day, yes. There is an option for that.
Separately, the navigation portion (aka the map) can show either a vector-type simplified street map or it can show a full aerial photography view if you have premium connectivity. There's an option to choose which view you want. This as far as I know does NOT change depending on time of day, you must choose what you want.
I am well aware of that. My map during the day has always been a satellite map. At sunset, the screen would change from a white theme to a black theme. At that time, the map would also change from satellite (aerial photography view) to a normal map but with a black theme. In the morning, it would change back to satellite view. It has nothing to do with the newly introduced “simplified view” of the map.

I am well aware of that. My map during the day has always been a satellite map. At sunset, the screen would change from a white theme to a black theme. At that time, the map would also change from satellite (aerial photography view) to a normal map but with a black theme. In the morning, it would change back to satellite view. It has nothing to do with the newly introduced “simplified view” of the map.
I don't think that was normal behavior - mine never switched from Satellite to Normal by itself, light or dark mode. They did make changes to the map with the latest update - it no longer zooms in and out automatically when entering/exiting highways, for example. If your car was doing it, they probably ironed that bug out.

Reactions: GtiMart
Weird. Mine has always behaved exactly like @eCharcoal describes. Night mode always switched it from satellite maps to the dark vector map, then it would switch back to satellite in the morning. I just thought it was a v11 enhancement to apply some kind of darker filter to the satellite view to allow it in night/dark mode without being jarring.
Yes it DOES change at night IF you have it in AUTO mode. You don't get a night time view of satellite so of course it changes to vector. you would need to have it set to satellite view in place of day vector view for it to go to satellite view in the morning...as far as I can recall. I thought the OP was suggesting that he sets it to day vector and then it switches to day satellite?

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
My display is always set to auto. My day map has always been satellite. My night map has always been night vector. To my understanding, the map switches to night vector at dusk by default if the display is set to auto. For the past 3 years, the map never showed me a satellite view at night, unless I tap the globe icon.

For instance, if during day time, I switch the day map from satellite to day vector, it will switch to night vector at night, then back to day vector in the morning. And it will stay day vector. The system remembers you set the day map as day vector.

If my day map is satellite, it will switch to night vector at night, then back to satellite in the morning. The system remembers you set the day map as satellite.

My display is always set to auto. My day map has always been satellite. My night map has always been night vector. To my understanding, the map switches to night vector at dusk by default if the display is set to auto. For the past 3 years, the map never showed me a satellite view at night, unless I tap the globe icon.

For instance, if during day time, I switch the day map from satellite to day vector, it will switch to night vector at night, then back to day vector in the morning. And it will stay day vector. The system remembers you set the day map as day vector.

If my day map is satellite, it will switch to night vector at night, then back to satellite in the morning. The system remembers you set the day map as satellite.
I also wanted to ask if this has feature has been broken. I was quite happy with satellite view in day and vector view at night but it does not change automatically at sundown which is quite sad.

My map has stopped auto switching from sat. to vector based on day/night. No option that I can find to revert to the previous behavior.

Mine has never done that, either. The only reason it should switch out of satellite mode is if you are in an area with no cell coverage so it can’t download the satellite map data.

I found this thread since this question also eluded me (and my service center) for quite some time. With your car in park you should see this side bar on your map which allows you to "toggle" between satellite and vector by tapping the globe icon. It seems the default behavior is to give satellite maps during the day and vector maps at night if "auto" is selected.

To change this behavior you'll tap the globe icon next time your map changes to vector at night and it will remember this setting under your profile and should remain satellite images at night from then on under your profile.

This is not obvious hence most everyone being correct in this thread on what they are describing.

Since V11, my Model 3’s map does not switch to night mode at night. It’s always in satellite mode. It’s now on 2022.44.30. Did not fix the issue. I did a hard reset. Didn’t help. I looked around the menu and settings in the map and couldn’t find a way to change it. Did I miss something?

I was able to switch the map back to night mode / normal map mode by tapping the globe icon but now I need to do it every time I get in the car.
Simple fix.
Put display in light mode and change the map to satellite. Then click dark mode and turn off the satellite view. Then choose auto. Now it will change going forward.

Reactions: sliyk and Park2670