Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map turns black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jbiggs2

Mar 19, 2020
OK
I've noticed recently that when I enter certain parts of town, the white map turns black. It still shows the names of the streets and only a portion of the map has a black background. When I leave that area, it's white again. It's really odd that you can see the black area as you are approaching, and there are many times when the screen shows both black and white areas. I know this sounds 🤪 but it's new and I don't like it. I will try to take a picture next time it happens. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Happened to me several times. Once a given location turns black, that same area stays black - at least for me.

I think at least once I turned on satellite-view, and turned it off and that seemed to fix the issue, but I've not verified that recently on newer spots.

Here are some shots.

78CD1586-02F1-4CC5-A9C9-8A320B9EEF4A.jpeg
5BE1D772-5134-4479-8D9A-DC4C4DD52DD6.jpeg
6962A894-E560-47E5-9C70-5FAA4622E3CF.jpeg

Attachments

• 9CCC309B-D5E0-4AFC-B519-D2FF51E05F45.jpeg
    9CCC309B-D5E0-4AFC-B519-D2FF51E05F45.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 55
We saw this as well driving from Bentonville to Dallas. What was odd was that there did not appear to be any Superchargers in the black area. The drive from Van Burem, AR SC to Denison, TX SC @ 206 miles of hilly country with strong winds took over 60 kWh doing 60 mph. I arrived at Denison with 10% but that was thanks to my long range Model Y. Can a standard range 3 or Y make it? Is the black area a supercharger "desert"?

The same thing here, even on FSD Beta. I submitted a Service appointment request because of some other issues too. I wonder if they optimize software for new AMD video processor and not for our older Intel processors.
Ruby's Driver, what is the chip in your MY, AMD or Intel?
IMG_20220404_181554115_HDR.jpg

The same thing here, even on FSD Beta. I submitted a Service appointment request because of some other issues too. I wonder if they optimize software for new AMD video processor and not for our older Intel processors.
Ruby's Driver, what is the chip in your MY, AMD or Intel?
View attachment 791997

Its definitely not "optimize for AMD processor and forgot about intel atom" or people with amd would not be reporting this as well, like in the model Y subforum here:

Reactions: alexgr
I've noticed lately that my navigation has been doing this where it shows parts of the map in black or dark mode. I don't see any rhyme or reason when it does it.

Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere, but I looked and couldn't find any.

Thanks for any help.

Tesla navigation bug.jpg

I'll go out on a limb and say it's a software bug such as an uninitialized variable in the code that draws map tiles.

What versions are y'all on?

There is a voice command to snapshot bug report info. Then you might have to make a service appointment to get the data to Tesla.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I was previously on 2021.44.30.21? I got an update recently, and haven't had a chance to see if I'm still seeing the same behavior.

I experienced a similar issue with that particular software build and the blackouts still creep up in the latest software update. I've only seen the problem with the NA-2021.44-13555 Map version.

The map is unusable now, almost always black. I have to switch to photo-map view, which is unacceptable. Tesla refused to do anything saying that they are aware of the problem and supposedly someone is working on a fix. This was like a month ago. I had no updates for the past 3 months or so....
The software versions of this year clearly are screwed up. Tesla does not care about customers.

The map is unusable now, almost always black. I have to switch to photo-map view, which is unacceptable. Tesla refused to do anything saying that they are aware of the problem and supposedly someone is working on a fix. This was like a month ago. I had no updates for the past 3 months or so....
The software versions of this year clearly are screwed up. Tesla does not care about customers.

Tesla has released a lot of bugs lately. (The automation they need most is test automation, not FSD or humanoid robots.)

Once people mention a release with this fix, you can try a reboot in case that does make the car check for updates, and check that your car is connected to WiFi. If that doesn't work, you can try a service request.

Tesla has released a lot of bugs lately. (The automation they need most is test automation, not FSD or humanoid robots.)

Once people mention a release with this fix, you can try a reboot in case that does make the car check for updates, and check that your car is connected to WiFi. If that doesn't work, you can try a service request.
I have tried all of what you say. Tesla service canceled request basically telling me to go pound sand. That was a month+ ago. Since then, the map is black 80% of time or more and no updates. Yes, I have restarted the car MANY times. And the car is parked in a home garage every night with strong WiFi. Tesla software support totally sucks. They focus on maximizing profits in the past couple years, nothing more. I will not be surprised if Tesla starts falling behind some other car maker soon (VW, for one).