Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why aren't the maps continually updated? They use Google for the map source, Google Maps are continuously updated, why isn't Tesla just piping that through.
Since the map update files are fairly massive in file size, I imagine they don't do it more often because of LTE bandwidth challenges.

Also, any time I wonder why a particular change isn't made since it "must be so easy," I realize I probably don't know how not easy it really is.

Since the map update files are fairly massive in file size, I imagine they don't do it more often because of LTE bandwidth challenges.

Also, any time I wonder why a particular change isn't made since it "must be so easy," I realize I probably don't know how not easy it really is.
Google Maps on Android Auto are always up to date. There is no LTE bandwidth problem because the maps only have to update themselves for the local area, there is no need to continually update the entire country, all you need is the current area and the route that the car is headed.

Reactions: beachmiles
Google Maps on Android Auto are always up to date. There is no LTE bandwidth problem because the maps only have to update themselves for the local area, there is no need to continually update the entire country, all you need is the current area and the route that the car is headed.
That's because you have (mostly) continual LTE (or whatever) connectivity to be constantly downloading data (which is why Waze is my highest data usage app). That isn't practical in a Tesla (because of the bandwidth). So it (I assume) downloads the entire US at one time.

Reactions: JBT66
Why aren't the maps continually updated? They use Google for the map source, Google Maps are continuously updated, why isn't Tesla just piping that through. I noticed that exit numbers haven't been updated yet, the DOT forced states to renumber exits last month, Google Maps has the new numbers, Tesla is still using the old ones.
Have you ever had a dvd based nav? Hell I had the latest version on my old BMW (that I paid 150 bucks for) and they didn’t even have a subdivision that was built 5 years prior.

map updates take time.

I think I got one on my old 19 sr+ in two years

My subdivision was also built over 5 years ago, and my house finally showed up with the latest map revision on my other vehicles last year. Bought the Tesla at the very end of December, so it obviously was there. Tesla also does map updates over the air, right?

As far as I know, they cannot read the speed limit signs that hangover the
autobahns yet. Thats kinda sorta really important, difference between unlimited speed
and say 55mph. In the EU we have had 2 map updates in a year, there was a different download for
the maps, and yes it is OTA.
Sorts off topic, do Mods ever sleep?

Last edited:
Have you ever had a dvd based nav? Hell I had the latest version on my old BMW (that I paid 150 bucks for) and they didn’t even have a subdivision that was built 5 years prior.

map updates take time.

I think I got one on my old 19 sr+ in two years
Yes I had them, they were terrible. Switched to a phone with Sygic which could be manually updated, then to Google Maps when it became available. The next car had Android Auto plus built in nav. Never used the built in nav system, always used Google Maps on Android Auto. Tesla's nav is a big step backwards, lacks multiple routes, route preferences, multiple waypoints and up to date maps. All things that Google Maps has had for years. I wish they didn't have this NIH attitude and just licensed Google Maps.

Yes I had them, they were terrible. Switched to a phone with Sygic which could be manually updated, then to Google Maps when it became available. The next car had Android Auto plus built in nav. Never used the built in nav system, always used Google Maps on Android Auto. Tesla's nav is a big step backwards, lacks multiple routes, route preferences, multiple waypoints and up to date maps. All things that Google Maps has had for years. I wish they didn't have this NIH attitude and just licensed Google Maps.
Sounds like using your phone is the best choice for you.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Why aren't the maps continually updated? They use Google for the map source, Google Maps are continuously updated, why isn't Tesla just piping that through. I noticed that exit numbers haven't been updated yet, the DOT forced states to renumber exits last month, Google Maps has the new numbers, Tesla is still using the old ones.

Good question. And why does it take 30 seconds to start the YouTube app when you have a huge computer and battery powering it, when compared to an iPad that opens YouTube in a blink of eye? Just odd things to explain for an iPad on wheels.

Good question. And why does it take 30 seconds to start the YouTube app when you have a huge computer and battery powering it, when compared to an iPad that opens YouTube in a blink of eye? Just odd things to explain for an iPad on wheels.
The vast majority of the processing power in our cars is in the graphics processors that handle the incoming video streams from the cameras. The original AP system used nVidia chips, then Tesla developed their own in-house processors that are highly specialized and powerful in performing their one function... an optical auto pilot system. The CPU is sized large enough to run the decision making code, comparing incoming data from the graphics units, and monitoring the car's systems. There's not a lot of processor time left over for things like YouTube, etc.

Even when your car is stationary, it is still mapping and labeling all of the objects around you, guessing at paths that moving vehicles around you are going to take (while also monitoring their speed and direction), plotting out "drive-able" surfaces, etc. etc. etc. You might be chilling watching YouTube, but your car's computer systems are working like crazy.

At one time, GreenTheOnly had some really interesting video that showed the processor loads at various times and under various driving (and stationary) conditions. It was quite telling how loaded the system was nearly constantly.

Given how highly loaded the system is, I'm pretty surprised that there was anything left over for such things as Netflix and YouTube.

If your iPad had to run a vehicle's visual based auto pilot system, I'm sure your YouTube watching experience wouldn't be nearly as good as it would be without a car attached to it. ;)

The vast majority of the processing power in our cars is in the graphics processors that handle the incoming video streams from the cameras. The original AP system used nVidia chips, then Tesla developed their own in-house processors that are highly specialized and powerful in performing their one function... an optical auto pilot system. The CPU is sized large enough to run the decision making code, comparing incoming data from the graphics units, and monitoring the car's systems. There's not a lot of processor time left over for things like YouTube, etc.

Even when your car is stationary, it is still mapping and labeling all of the objects around you, guessing at paths that moving vehicles around you are going to take (while also monitoring their speed and direction), plotting out "drive-able" surfaces, etc. etc. etc. You might be chilling watching YouTube, but your car's computer systems are working like crazy.

At one time, GreenTheOnly had some really interesting video that showed the processor loads at various times and under various driving (and stationary) conditions. It was quite telling how loaded the system was nearly constantly.

Given how highly loaded the system is, I'm pretty surprised that there was anything left over for such things as Netflix and YouTube.

If your iPad had to run a vehicle's visual based auto pilot system, I'm sure your YouTube watching experience wouldn't be nearly as good as it would be without a car attached to it. ;)

Yeah, I am not buying that.