TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

map updates!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by tomp, Sep 25, 2014.

1. tomp

tomp Member

I received a pop-up today saying 'Congratulations! Your maps have been updated' (not word for word, but that's basically what it said).
    The maps definitely were updated, as a road I know has been changed is now properly reflected.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Is this only in the non tech package?

3. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

NO. I have the Tech Package and mine popped up yesterday also. I got 6.0 about the third day after it was announced and it took this long to get the maps.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Got mine too!

I wish there was a version release listed .... that part sucks.

5. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

One of only a few dozen features lacking in the overpriced nav system that are currently available in the cheapest of auto GPS receivers. :wink:

6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

This is only in tech equipped cars. Non-tech don't have maps stored on-board.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Thanks. What's different or simply updated guidance?

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Looking forward to them here. The municipalities in my neck of the woods have been going crazy putting in "Roundabouts" (personally, I hate them) and the Tesla nav gets confused when I come across them. (i.e. tells me to turn left, but I actually have to enter the roundabout going right, then circle around and exit on the street to the left).

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Hmm. I thought the maps were continuously updated on google maps. I guess it's data stored on the car

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's both. Navigon (Garmin) maps in the instrument cluster, which work both on and offline. Google maps on the center display, which only works when online.

My Model S is never on WiFi, so presumably I miss out on the map updates, which the release notes said are distributed via Wi-Fi only. :crying:

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

- 17" @ Google, internet required, updated on Google's schedule
    - Instrument Cluster @ Navigon, stored inside the car for those with tech package, updated on Tesla's (and Navigon's) schedule

12. Eumox

Eumox Member

I hope they change that. I never managed to connect to any wifi yet. (I only tried two wifi nets up to now)

13. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

What kind of things are updated on the navigation screen, got 6.0 last Saturday but no map update yet.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

#14 mknox, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    I think the Google maps are, but the navigation maps are stored locally. Some of the new roundabouts that I mentioned in my post above do show up on the Google map, but the navigation map on the dash display (and corresponding audio prompts) still shows the old traditional intersection.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

16. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I recall hearing/reading that the Navigon map updates will only occur when you're on WiFi. I'm hoping that the SC can install them, as my garage is not in WiFi range of my condo.

17. Klaus

Klaus Member

Has anyone checked the size of the map download?

18. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Came out to the car after work and had map updates. Unsure if routing is part of that, but I plotted a course for home, and as before, it took me a very circuitous route. I'm sure there's improvements in there, but that's my first experience with it.

19. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

I'm never on wifi either. So mine haven't updated. Has anyone posted side by sides to show the difference? Or could someone if not?

20. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I don't think it has anything to do with being on wifi. Mine is on wifi at least 20hrs a day either at home or the office, and I do not have the new maps yet (but do have the v6 update).