Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a May '13 car, and never got a map update notification either. I mentioned it to the the folks at the service center some number of months ago, and they were able to determine by looking up my VIN on their system that I had indeed gotten a map update. They say they don't load them during service center visits.

Not sure why I never got a notice, but you might be in the same boat...
They need to update the T logo so that it shows map versioning in addition to firmware.

On my route to and from work my nav routes me down a road that's been closed for construction for about a year. Google, Waze, Apple maps etc all know this road is closed and route me around that street. I found it rather disappointing that the tesla nav (powered by Google?) doesn't know the current state of ongoing road closures. I was falsely under the impression that my tech savvy tesla would be better than all others at navigation.

Also the trip planner still routes me past my road trip destination for a 5 minute superchargering stop then backtracks me to my destination. I have 7.1, honestly I'm very underwhelmed with the nav and trip planner.

Seems this is disproven.

Yes, it now is given a WiFi-receipt example after my post. Thank you for that observation. It's another bit of documentation Tesla needs to update, wouldn't you agree?

Personally, I find it interesting Tesla would elect to distribute such large data files via cellular when they could have kept doing what they said they did all along -- via WiFi only -- where their costs I would think would be less than directly or indirectly paying AT&T for the increased usage against their data plan. It's not a good cost savings measure for a company trying to turn a profit this year, unless of course Tesla has negotiated an unlimited data plan for themselves. ;) ...Which makes me wonder: If/when Tesla does stop giving away free internet connection to owners, I can just imagine the scorcher posts and complaints that will happen from dissatisfied owners that get a huge unexpected cellular bill because their (what, 5GB of) maps were updated the month before.

- - - Updated - - -

There is still no way to determine which version is installed, correct?
Right, No, there isn't.